Sign in to follow this  
Sjm1027

Cutting out pattern pieces

I am making a eye glass case and will be using 5 oz leather for the outside and 2 oz pigskin for a liner. I have cut both front and back out but when I put them together one is just a little bit off. No if this was wood I could sand the edges and make them both exact but can something like this be done with leather after I sew it?

Is the process for the pig skin lining to rubber cement it to the front and back pieces and then sew everything together?

Question on the cutting process.

When I was cutting out my 2 pieces, front and back I did it with my swivel blade then went back over it with a knife. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I find that using a surgeons scalpel or very sharp exacto knife the best for thicker leather. The pigskin and lighter weight leathers I just use the scissors. When I put the liner onto a hat brim, I will glue it down first, then trim the excess with scissors.

Ken

Hi Steve,

Yes, glue them together with contact cement or white glue. How you make them even depends on the leather. For veg tan, you can sand them or cut them with a sharp head, scalpel, utility, etc. knife. For the leathers with less body or stiffness, you will have to cut them. After that, you edge the veg tan as it will have sharp edges, if chrome tan it may not need it, depending.

Art

I am making a eye glass case and will be using 5 oz leather for the outside and 2 oz pigskin for a liner. I have cut both front and back out but when I put them together one is just a little bit off. No if this was wood I could sand the edges and make them both exact but can something like this be done with leather after I sew it?

Is the process for the pig skin lining to rubber cement it to the front and back pieces and then sew everything together?

Question on the cutting process.

When I was cutting out my 2 pieces, front and back I did it with my swivel blade then went back over it with a knife. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,

Steve

Hey there Steve,

I have perfected the art of laminating two or more layers of leather together and then finishing the edge. All layers must be cemented together and pressed. When all is dry, the layers can be sanded very easily together to produce a very professional edge. If you have a soft pig skin or chrome layer sand this by having this on the top so that it is the first part of the skin to touch the sanding wheel. ie the veg will be underneath and act as a support to allow the sander to cut the edge of the chrome. Then turn the work up the other way and gently finish the other edge. The glue is very important. You cant sand two pieces of chrome very easily. (There is also a slight fire risk with the dust.)

Once you have sanded the edge then put your dye and/or edge finishing liquid on then you can sew the two edges together. Good luck

Trevor (Way down under)

Hey Steve, while no doubt the others have offered good advice I believe the standard way is to cut the outside piece just the size you need and to cut the lining oversize, glue the two pieces together and then trim the lining to match. Be careful not to cut or nick the original piece. Then you can take a piece of broken glass and holding it so that the flat of the glass is along the edge kinda scrape along your leather edge so that the edge of one side of the glass is scraping the edge of your piece. Then you can take a damp piece of canvas cloth and burnish the edge by rubbing it vigorously back and forth. This will seal the edge by closing the fibers and will leave it looking glossy. Barring the broken glass I guess you could sand the two pieces even but the broken glass is "traditional" if you will. Also you can rub some white saddle soap into the canvas to aid in the burnishing or you could also burnish with a piece of hardwood or even a plastic edge burnishing tool!

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

I'm a Rebel, Soul Rebel! I'm a Capturer, Soul Avengerer
Bob Marley - Soul Rebel