On 5/17/2023 at 12:40 AM, dikman said:

I just re-read the thread and there's some good info in it (thanks for starting it ScottWolf :specool:).

Regarding leather conditioners probably the most common/widely used ingredient is medicinal/food grade mineral oil as this blends nicely with waxes to make them "spreadable". This is also apparently considered by some manufacturers to be natural.:rolleyes2: Paraffin wax is also widely used presumably because it is readily available commercially and no doubt is cheaper than using beeswax. As with the mineral oil the wax is basically a highly refined petroleum product. 

No Problem, glad you found the information to be helpful.

As to mineral oil or Parafin wax, Liquid Parrafin or any of the other names used for it in other locations, its all the same, a petroleum derived product. Mineral oil itself is not a leather conditioner like Tallow or neatsfoot, etc, it is a barrier, in that it keeps moisture in, which is why its used extensively in women's skin care products, cosmetics, etc. It can be used as a solvent in a product, as it dissolves other ingredients and is also considered a cleaning agent  as it will break down sebum  and cosmetic residue on peoples skin. For leather, its great for sealing moisture in and works best as a finishing product, after the leather has been conditioned,  and it also adds a polish or shine to the leather.

I decided to re-melt a mix I made up and add some olive oil to soften it a bit (it's pretty stiff in the jar). From memory it's beeswax, neatsfoot oil and tallow. What was interesting was once it was melted there were pieces of "skin", for want of a better term, in the mix. The only thing I can think of is it came from the NFO? Most peculiar.

@Scottwolf  I'm happy to see your leather conditioner recipe and am looking forward to using it. It's similar to a beeswax hand balm I make.  Do you have a recommendation (or recipe?) for a gentle, natural leather cleaner to be used prior to this conditioner for saddle, tack, and riding boot maintenance?  For the most part I can just dust and condition, but sometimes a gentle cleaner is needed. 

Just made a small batch tonight. . .

20g Bee's Wax, 20g Shea Butter, 15g 100% Neatsfoot Oil, 15g Lanolin, 5g Carnuba Wax, 2g Vitamin E Oil

Added the extra high Vitamin E oil as an antioxidant, although Shea Butter is said to contain a bunch. . .

I don't see a problem with Neatsfoot Oil as it is a natural product derived from shin, and feet bones of cattle, and

has been used for leather preservation, and conditioning, more or less, forever. . .

All the other things are food grade, and absolutely no problem with contacting your skin  (unless you're allergic)

Consistency is of a soft shoe polish,  rubbed it in with my hands  seems to work very well. . .