JJN

Sutton Machinery Patcher Stand

This Sutton stand came with a Singer 29K72 that I wrote about in another post. I plan to remove the existing motor and put a Servo motor in it. I will have to remove the adjustable motor mount (I think). The stand has the original speed reducer in it. I would like to modify it to work with the new servo motor. Has anyone already done this? If so, some photos would be appreciated. Any other ideas to update this stand. I plan on de-rusting, cleaning and repainting it when done.

sutton-1.jpg

sutton-2.jpg

sutton-3.jpg

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/72789-singer-45d91-restoration/?do=findComment&comment=552471I would look for a servo with separate accelerator unit so you can mount it where you need it. I did that on my Singer 45D91 stand too (not a Sutton stand). It usually is mounted on the motor bracket (see link) but is detachable so I put it where I needed it (see picture).

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/jk-563a-220v-750w-1hp-servo-motor.html

Some more images of the stand:

IMG_3659.JPG

Edited by Constabulary

JJN,

the jackshaft in the stand is two piece.  You have to bolt the clutch part together so that it truly acts like a speed reducer. I sold my Sutton stand to a friend of mine who is putting a Claes on it.  Put a nice piece of 1/2" cabinet grade plywood on the top of the stand over the steel top.  Looks better and easier to anchor a machine on it.  Servo yes.  I removed the 1/4hp Dayton motor off of it before he got so that he could put a one piece servo in it.  Buy a one piece servo like the family motor, not one that has three pieces to it.  Hope that helps

glenn

@Constabulary, that is a very clean setup you did with that stand. Thanks for the photo! I'm going to try to fit a standard 'family' style servo on it since I already have an extra one and modify the original linkage to move the speed controller. If that doesn't work out I'll try using a separate controller.

@shoepatcher, this stand has a weird clutch mechanism. Looks like it is rusted up right now. I'll clean it and bolt it as you suggest. I have an extra servo motor like the one you recommended. I wonder why Sutton mounted the motor on an adjustable mount with the adjustment control on the front of the cabinet. (red knob) Why would an operator need to adjust the belt tension? I like your idea to put a wood top on the stand. I will do that for sure.

Edited by JJN

remove the the belt tensioner.  It was need to engage the clutch mechanism and keep the belt tight.  Make the clutch mechanism into a speed reducer.

glenn