Danne

Leather cleaning problem.

So after 2.5 year it was time to restore a wallet I made for my friend. This wallet doesn't live a calm life in a suit pocket (he work as an electrician)

It was stitched with linen thread, but I decided to restitch it with a synthetic thread (Xiange Twist)

The interior leather was very dirty and my usual method for cleaning is to brush with a horse hair brush, slightly damp cloth, (If needed: Saphir Renovateur) and finish with Saphir Universelle. But in this case I had to use Saphir Renomat, which i've used before on finished leather without any problems. 

But this was the first time on Chevre sully, and 10 hours after cleaned and polished the surface is slightly sticky. No color rub off and it doesn't feel sticky when I feel with my fingers, just a little bit more friction than usual. But when I close the wallet and open it again it sticks very slightly. And a lot of friction when I rub the two pocket sides against each other. Now I wonder if there are any solutions to get rid of this? because my feeling is that it will get dirty very quick as it is now. Should I just wait a couple of days and it will dry or are there other solutions? 

Some photos, I also include photos from when it was new if someone is interested to see how it have aged.

Before restored (cleaned/polished and restitched):

before.jpg.51ab6e71681699c47d86acde63c9daf0.jpg

Cleaned and restitched:

IMG_3701.JPG.6022b1f764fbeffd541091573a465f39.JPG

When it was new:

lhNEU5g.jpg

vmLgiak.jpg

Edited by Danne

I don’t get on here much, but if you would like to still discuss this issue feel free to email me & I will discuss it with you today

Brad

Norton Custom Leather

Wow, nice wallet and it took a beating!  The linen thread gave out in those stress points.  How many years of use did it get?  It did clean up nicely tho.

To answer your questions, for sure I'd let it dry out some more, then a simple light wipe with a carnuba or beeswax finish would probably reduce or eliminate stickiness and reduce future dirt from sticking.  May also facilitate future cleaning. If you put too much, then you may find the reverse to be true.

YinTx

3 hours ago, Norton Custom Leather said:

I don’t get on here much, but if you would like to still discuss this issue feel free to email me & I will discuss it with you today

Brad

Norton Custom Leather

It did dry and it's not sticky anymore, but it took a while. I will update here when it have been used for a while again.

34 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Wow, nice wallet and it took a beating!  The linen thread gave out in those stress points.  How many years of use did it get?  It did clean up nicely tho.

To answer your questions, for sure I'd let it dry out some more, then a simple light wipe with a carnuba or beeswax finish would probably reduce or eliminate stickiness and reduce future dirt from sticking.  May also facilitate future cleaning. If you put too much, then you may find the reverse to be true.

YinTx

It's 2.5 years old. It did dry and it feels like normal now. I don't have any beeswax in "liquid" but I have carnauba creme, I will do some tests on scrap pieces. Thank you.

32 minutes ago, jcuk said:

I have glycerine based saddle soap, and also Sedgwick leathercare. Why would your products be more suitable in this case?

Sully is a finished leather, and I was forced to use a strong cleaner to remove stains (Saphir Renomat in this case) I have very little experience regarding those products. But I know that Saphir Renomat is a stronger cleaner, I also know that my Sedgwick is not suitable for finished leather (at least not when I have tried on Sully)

I can't honestly say if it would work for you maybe contact the company for there advice, all i can say is in the last year i have saved 3 race exercise saddles and various bridles and other bits of tack from being thrown in the bin, because they were being stored in plastic bags which were then sealed one of the saddles was soaking wet when they sealed it in the bag, despite me telling them this is not a good practice they still do it now, you can tell they are not the ones paying for the tack. i asked them what are you going to do with the tack, its going in the bin because it was covered in mould and had not been cleaned in a age before it went into the bags. I said give them to me i cleaned them up using the said products cant say restored them to new as they had a hard life in a racing yard, but were put back into service they could not tell which ones they were when they went back to the yard. The thing they don't seem to understand to replace those saddles and bridles would cost around £3000 that's why i said you can tell they were not the ones who would be paying for the new tack. 

Buy the way that's nice work and a good job of cleaning it up looks almost new, the thing with leather for me is were its get some wear and tear and age it becomes unique to the owner can only be their belt wallet bag or what ever.

JCUK