Chris623

Skiving Strips

On 11/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, Chris623 said:

I just don't get the "I know it all" attitude of some people.

It's my main complaint about Tandy. I really dislike it when those know it alls act like they are the only game in town and try to push other, often inferior, products onto you.

I wish I was familiar with that skiver/splitter. If you end up taking one for the team and its not a turd I may be interested at that price.

Well, with my income, "taking one for the team" is not something I can afford to do.  That's why I'm trying to get some first hand information on it.

I have one of my kids moving back in or I would jump in front of that bus actually. He'll only be here fora few months (not holding my breath...) so if nobody has done anything with it by then I may pull the trigger. You know, for the team :) 

I bought the Tandy Deluxe skiver a couple of years ago when it went on sale for $199.95.  It does a decent job and I keep the blade honed.  I just split piece about 4" wide and it did fine.  Had to keep pulling side to side to get it through, but does work for these wider pieces of leather.

Good luck with new boarder - I had my son, Daughter-in-law and two large dogs with me for 3 months (was supposed to be 2 weeks) and it didn't end well!

Now you know why the mother bird kicks the babies out of the nest.....................the chit keeps piling up until there's no room for anyone!!!!!:lol:

4 hours ago, garypl said:

I bought the Tandy Deluxe skiver a couple of years ago when it went on sale for $199.95.  It does a decent job and I keep the blade honed.  I just split piece about 4" wide and it did fine.  Had to keep pulling side to side to get it through, but does work for these wider pieces of leather.

Good luck with new boarder - I had my son, Daughter-in-law and two large dogs with me for 3 months (was supposed to be 2 weeks) and it didn't end well!

He just rescued a puppy and so did we so we took his since it's gonna be around 80 lbs and ours may his 25 if he's lucky, so we could train it before he gets here.

3 hours ago, Chris623 said:

Now you know why the mother bird kicks the babies out of the nest.....................the chit keeps piling up until there's no room for anyone!!!!!:lol:

He went in the navy and is getting out so we're letting him land here until he gets things pointed in the right direction. Hopefully he gets routed quick because we don't get along too awfully well for very long and I miss my leather shop already and its barely accessible anymore. Kids...

"Kids................" indeed.  Never had any of my own.  Was a school teacher...........that was enough for me.  Latest little wife came with a daughter, son-in-law, 3 grandchildren and now 2 great grandchildren.  Love'em all. Guess I should have had kids! :lol: 

Don't spoil him, he is used to living in a bed space about 6'-6" x 3'x 2' so the empty space under your work table should be enough, If in Submarines let him hot bunk and save some more space. Unfortunately he will expect three hot meals prepared for him every day and leave the washing up to someone else