CHT

Sealing Edges

Hi:

Was wondering if there is a material or method that can be used to seal seams on a given project.  For example if you are building a wallet and have several thin layers that come out to the edge, multiple stacked card folders for example, is there a method or material that will fill in the exposed seams to give a smooth edge?  We've been sanding and that gets the edges uniform but a small seam line still shows.

Thank you

Chuck

Edge coat and burnishing compound should take care of that.

Another alternative is to do a folded edge or to cut a strip of leather, split it to ~1 oz and stitch it in place, over the edges.

I sometimes melt wax into the cracks and crevices.  I use Columbus brand in black, brown, red, blue and green.

Thank you both, we look into the Columbus wax.

1. Make sure to not use to much glue, if you use contact cement, use a thin layer of glue on both pieces, and make sure to press or punch the edge with a hammer.

2. Let it dry before sanding and burnishing, or you will push in the seam between leather layers. (Flush cut the edge is also a solution for a clean edge)

3. (I'm no expert on burnishing since I paint my edges) but I get good results when I 1. Sand or flush cut. 2. burnish with water. 3. Sand 4. burnish with Tokonole. And I keep doing this and use finer grits of sandpaper as the edge gets more uniform. And if I have painted that edge with oil dye, I almost can't see the glue line between layers. I can show you photos of some tests I did recently this this method?