jadub

Setting my Pfaff 1245 to work leather

Hi all, can any tell me what I need to transition my Pfaff 1245-706 to work with leather? Thank you!

I expressed that poorly. I have grooved feed dogs and walking feet, if those are the proper terms. I’m hoping to get smooth ones to keep the leather from getting marked. 

D961EF5D-873D-43D0-BA86-0EA2F114FDBD.jpeg

I have a Pfaff 145 and bought a set of feet from eBay and ground them off smooth, I have not found a really good selection of feet for these machines. I guess this worked for me and I stopped looking if there are other options I would like to know also.

I left the feed dog and needle plate alone.

Johnny

Thank you folks. I called Toledo and Keystone. I’ve talked to a couple of dealers and they say you can’t get them but maybe these guys will have some solutions. I’m a bit disappointed with the dealer I bought the machine from. I tried to consider all elements but these got by me. Being that they’re the professionals and I asked for a leather sewing machine I would like to have been notified of this issue. I’m beginning to realize I’m at the beginning of a steep learning curve.

Thank you Chrisash. Honestly I’m thinking a return may be in order here, if possible. I’d like this learning curve to be less steep. Readily available parts seems like a good step.

Pfaff are a well respected make from Germany which is renown for its mechanical engineering and the machine seems to fit the bill you need. 

Industrial machines do take some learning and none seem to come with more than very basic instructions , seemingly expecting everyone to have assistance when starting out

YouTube is your friend with lots of video's on sewing leather with industrial machines, and for the most part the actual a machine does not make any difference it's Technic you are looking to learn

One thing about this forum, nobody cares if you ask simple questions or either what may sound stupid ones, they will offer assistance happily, we all have to learn somewhere, you can also type into the search bar and find loads of previous posts about your machine type "Pfaff 145" and there are about 300 posts which may help you

Happy learning and sewing

Thanks for the pep talk! Bob in Toledo already settled me down but it’s great to get your encouragement. I’ll try to hang in there and I’ll definitely avail myself of the search tool.