MtlBiker

Comparing Threads

I'm a bit confused about bonded polyester threads...  I've been buying Sunstop and Sunguard threads from a Canadian supplier (https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com/Sewing-Thread_c_2854.html) and both claim to be uv-resistant bonded polyester for outdoor use.  The Sunguard is slightly more expensive than the Sunstop but it's available in 16oz as well as 8oz spools while the Sunstop is only 8oz.  Also Sunguard is available in B-92 and B-138 while the Sunstop is only V-92.

And is there any significance between "B" and "V" (B-92 vs V-92)?  Is that interchangeable?

Any opinions about whether one of these brands is better than the other?

Why not call American & Efird Canada they are not far from you and discuss your needs / wants. Their products are made in Canada as well as the US and they should have a thread to meet your needs like maybe their Sunstop line. Prices are good, delivery is fast and most importantly a quality / consistent  product. My V138 thread and edging arrived in under 24 hours.

kgg

56 minutes ago, kgg said:

Why not call American & Efird Canada they are not far from you and discuss your needs / wants. Their products are made in Canada as well as the US and they should have a thread to meet your needs like maybe their Sunstop line. Prices are good, delivery is fast and most importantly a quality / consistent  product. My V138 thread and edging arrived in under 24 hours.

kgg

Great!  I didn't know A&E also had offices in Canada.  And you can buy directly from them??  And you have Sunstop in V138?  I'd been searching in Canada and couldn't find other than V92.  And a Google search on "Sunstop thread Canada" doesn't turn up much, other than JT's where I've been buying the V92.  I'll do another search for American & Efird.

(BTW, I found a source for leather here... I bought a piece of lambskin and another of calf leather and also got a bunch of scraps to experiment with.  Happy!)

Update: A&E is HERE in Montreal!!   Until you mentioned it I had no idea.  Thank you!  And their prices are better than I'd been paying AND they have all the sizes too.  I owe you one.

But you also mentioned edging.  From A&E?  What kind of edging?  A binding for finished edges? 

Edited by MtlBiker
Added info

Yes, I had to get another 100 yd spool of  3/4 " Polyester Twill Tape to complete the edging of some 60 - 3' x 3' puppy incontinence pads. I still don't have my edging tape machine fully up and running. Price was reasonable at about $16.00 for the spool. Their complete list of products is at http://amefird.ca/products/   . I do like the A& E stuff they put some engineering into manufacturing a quality thread but you do pay for quality.

kgg

What about Cansew? They stock bonded polyester thread in sizes 69 through 207. I used to buy bonded nylon from them and it was top grade thread.

5 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

What about Cansew? They stock bonded polyester thread in sizes 69 through 207. I used to buy bonded nylon from them and it was top grade thread.

How the heck do you know about ALL this stuff!  No wonder there's a WIZ in your name!

I'd never heard of Cansew and first thought you'd mistyped Consew.  I just checked their site (your link) and the price is a bit higher than what I've been paying for Sunguard and Sunstop threads.  Their product may be good, but I feel more confident with a brand that I see as much more common.  Even though YOUR recommendation carries a lot of weight.

Amann thread may also be possible. It is mostly used in Europe, and it is considered a very good quality brand. They got a dealer in Canada:

https://www.amann.com/company/location-contacts/ 

Bonded polyester with good UV-properties is named Serabond:

https://www.amann.com/products/product/serabond/

For tents or something to be more water resistant, you may choose Serafil WR.

14 hours ago, Gymnast said:

Amann thread may also be possible. It is mostly used in Europe, and it is considered a very good quality brand. They got a dealer in Canada:

https://www.amann.com/company/location-contacts/ 

Bonded polyester with good UV-properties is named Serabond:

https://www.amann.com/products/product/serabond/

For tents or something to be more water resistant, you may choose Serafil WR.

Thanks.  That looks like a good thread, but unfortunately the Canadian source (from their link) appears to only carry their embroidery threads and not the Serabond or Serafil WR (only regular Serafil).

Edited by MtlBiker

One thing that doesn’t get mentioned in thread guides and marketing info is that the size of thread matters down the road when most of the thread’s strength has been lost - bigger is better for longevity.  The shops that sew boat covers are well versed in how long the various threads hold up in years of direct sun - I can’t remember what discussion group they hang out in, but their conversations were quite interesting.

I just happened upon this conversation and am so happy to have done so. 

I work with full kodiak leather on an Adler walking foot machine. I have B-139 Sunguard thread that works wonderfully in my machine, however my supplier doesnt have a colour match for my dark brown leathers. I have been using 207 nylon bonded thread, when I back-tack my topstitching there will be a small ball every once in a while on the bottom. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it because I am using nylon instead of polyester? I have contacted A&E awaiting a reply if they have something similar that will work, awaiting reply. I am new to leather work - any advice is much appreciated. 

On 1/5/2023 at 1:29 PM, Clothiers said:

I have been using 207 nylon bonded thread, when I back-tack my topstitching there will be a small ball every once in a while on the bottom. Does anyone know why this is happening?

I would guess this thread is bulkier and or stiffer than the polyester you’ve been using and there’s not enough room and or tension for the knot to fully pull up into the material.  It might also have something to do with the amount of twist in that brand of thread, type of needle, or inconsistent tension caused by old thread not unwinding evenly off the spool, but I’d guess needle size first.   Make sure to hold thread tight when starting the first back tack - leather is less forgiving of tension variations.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:29 PM, Clothiers said:

Is it because I am using nylon instead of polyester?

More then likely as nylon is stiffer particularly in darker colors with black be more so. What size of needle are you using and what is the thickness you are sewing.

kgg