JLSleather

First new design of 2021

nearly a working model... "driving holster" for Bond Arms Snake Slayer over/under 3.5".  Not sure i understand why a guy needs a "driving holster" when the OWB works well for driving, but these little things are quite popular and I ben meanin'a lay out something for about 6 months now!  So a "day off" will mean letting a belt dry and prototyping this design ... close ...

Looking forward to seeing it!

I honestly didn't know there was such a thing!  What makes it different?

Uh.. the ones I've seen were kinda like an EXTREME cross-draw type thing, where the gun barrel ends up pretty much horizontal, pointed pretty much where your car jacker would be standing if you were seated in a vehicle ;)

But the design, which has been copied by numerous "holster makers", is flawed from the start.  Clearly they made it to be fast to put together and get out the door.  It goes on your belt - or your seatbelt - by wrapping a piece of leather hooked to the holster around the strap, then attaches back to the holster.  

Been meaning to rework this for a bit now.  Recently, fella called me and emailed me a pic and it immediately struck me as an issue.  It attaches with velcro, and this guy said he would have preferred a snap, or both the velcro AND a snap.  I guess the IDEA was that you'd have it on your seatbelt ONLY when driving (were you supposed to put it in a DIFFERENT holster when you get out the car?).  Cuz it looked to me like if that velcro and/or snap popped loose, a guy could find his gun ON THE FLOOR.  And his wife, who was on the other phone at the time, said that's EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.  Most versions of this I see include a thumb break snap, but that's really for preventing movement in a holster that's NOT upside down :o

Same fella - regular customer of ours - also bought the "pocket holster" for that "zombie" gun.  He uses it, but we'll be redesigning that too.  Amazing what some people call "custom" and perhaps more amazing there are people willing to pay money for some of that.  We would have called that nearly $100 holster a FAIL and tossed it :lol:

Oh, here we go.  There are half a dozen people making very similar holsters - close enough I don't know which is the "original" and which are the "knockoffs".

https://www.bondarms.com/shop/holsters/leather-gun-holsters/bad-driving-holster/

Now, you can see that added strap sewn on goes around the belt, or seatbelt, so you don't have to thread it through a closed loop.  Problem is, when the snap and/ or velcro opens, where does the gun go?@!! UPSIDE DOWN and perhaps TO THE FLOOR, eh?

I didn't think those holsters LOOKED too bad (cosmetically), but now I'm realizin' theys got a lotta twists n turns that just weren't necessary at all.

snake_not.jpgOh, well --- give a fella what he wants, eh?

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Oh, here we go.  There are half a dozen people making very similar holsters - close enough I don't know which is the "original" and which are the "knockoffs".

https://www.bondarms.com/shop/holsters/leather-gun-holsters/bad-driving-holster/

Now, you can see that added strap sewn on goes around the belt, or seatbelt, so you don't have to thread it through a closed loop.  Problem is, when the snap and/ or velcro opens, where does the gun go?@!! UPSIDE DOWN and perhaps TO THE FLOOR, eh?

Interesting but yea the velcro and snap thing has to change maybe a side release buckle or some such like the one at this site. Good luck I'm sure if anyone can make a decent one its you https://www.paracordplanet.com/metal-3-4-inch-side-release-buckles/?sku=BTZ-3001Z-HPBP-34-&msclkid=f397cd386d4e149c5c3e92d7ec1d3c00&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing Shopping&utm_term=4580359286202363&utm_content=P2 - All Products

SHOOOT... i was headin' fer maybe like a tuck-tite... but i like your idea better (SHUCKS.. I HATE havin' ta credit somebody else ;) ) 

Have to check dimensions, see if there's one that's solid but still fits on this little gun.