Sign in to follow this  
Elwood Turner

Saddle

This saddle is built on a High Country tree from Rod and Dennise Nikkel. I thought since I am new to the forum that I would show the latest saddle I made and get some feedback as to what I can do to improve my work. Thanks.

High_Country_Oak_leaf.JPG

post-4947-1191212555_thumb.jpg

Hi Elwood and welcome to the forum. That saddle looks real fine, and to be honest I can't say there is any need for improvement, you've seem to got it down pat.

Thanks for sharing the picture.

Ken

WOW,

How's that for feedback? I know nothing about horses, saddles, or any other cowboy type gear, but that is a beautiful piece of work. You saddle guys really know how to impress! Keep it up Elwood.

Dave Theobald

Only problem with this saddle...and it is a BIG problem - it ain't in my tack room.

Don't feel too awful bad though....all the custom makers have the same darned problem with their saddles.

Very nice saddle welcome to the site Elwood

Great job on that saddle Elwood. How do you like building on the Nikkel trees? Very nice work...keep it up.

Welcome to the site, Elwood...looks like you been doing that a while. Very crisp stamping, wish mine was anywhere near as nice. Can't focus enough to tell...do you use another stamp to border the weave, just inside the bead?

--Gray

Very nice, clean work. The picture was so big, though, it took forever to download it. I'm on dial-up down here in the sand hills of south Texas and can't get DSL!!! :ranting2:

Elwood Turner-ClayB & CitizenKate just did oak leaves for everyone. Would you be willing to do something like this too? Pretty please? Your saddle is lovely.

Johanna

Thanks for the feedback, I don't get to visit or compare notes with alot of leatherworkers in our neck of the woods.

I enjoy looking at the work everyone is posting, and find fresh ideas to incorporate in my work.

Don - I really like the Nikkel tress, nice woodwork and smooth rawhiding.

Grey - I used a small border stamp from Hackbarth inside the bead to finsh the basket stamping.

I like the saddle Elwood, very nice stamping.

One thing that may help you uploading photos in the future to the net is a good rule of thumb. 800x600 and 125k.

I post alot of Knife pictures as to get the detail that are in them and yet be user friendly is that rule of thumb. Some say you can go down in further yet but Im not willing to lose details which will be significnt less when lower then 100 k. Still not completely dialup friendly but will help you in the future :cowboy:

Great saddle Elwood! Looks like sturdy, all-around. using gear. Beautiful looking too, thanks for sharing with us.

RG

Elwood, just wondering what part of my beautiful home province you live in? I'm seriously considering moving home next summer (kipling which is in the southeast corner)

Well hey Kipling is only about an hour and a half south of Yorkton so I'll be sure to look you up when we get settled back in!!