Loudcherokee

1911 IWB two tone just finished

Well this is my latest build. Came along with some frustrations, and this is actually my second build of this holster. The first one I misread a decimal point on my calipers and made the stitch lines so close the gun wouldn't even go in. I couldn't figure out what I did wrong until I went back and re-measured. 

This is my first holster where I made the front piece into a pocket before gluing and stitching. The others I made were just straight pancake style and the gun molded evenly front and back. Since this is IWB, I wanted the back fairly flat so it would contour to my hip. 

Tried to go a little fancy here. Color is airbrushed saddle tan, with a mahogany reinforcement piece and feathered mahogany on the outside edges. I then used a vacuum sealer to bone in the detail. 

Overall I'm pretty happy with it. Love the color combo. The muzzle is sticking out about 1/8th of an inch from the front piece, but not the back. Also a product of my mismeasurement, but I wasn't making this thing a third time. This is only my 3rd holster and I feel I've improved from the first quite a bit, learning from each mistake. 

Critique is welcome and requested! Hope the pictures are big enough. Had to reduce them quite a bit to upload. 

LC

20210127_230858.jpg

20210127_230921.jpg

20210127_230944.jpg

20210127_231016.jpg

Surprised nobody commented here yet. This one raised some questions for me (which is a good thing).

Got a pic from the other side, leading edge?  Wondering about the sewn-on panel and how you formed that.

8 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

I misread a decimal point on my calipers and made the stitch lines so close

So you made an inch into a TENTH of an inch?

8 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

Overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Me too.  Not sure about the texture  you have there, how you got that.  But overall I like the look you got there.  The different color of the front panel makes the change in texture work, actually, and you have stitch lines that aren't 1/4", 3/8", or more from the firearm like some calling themselves holster makers.

Looks comfortable ;)

2 hours ago, JLSleather said:

Surprised nobody commented here yet. This one raised some questions for me (which is a good thing).

Got a pic from the other side, leading edge?  Wondering about the sewn-on panel and how you formed that.

So you made an inch into a TENTH of an inch?

Me too.  Not sure about the texture  you have there, how you got that.  But overall I like the look you got there.  The different color of the front panel makes the change in texture work, actually, and you have stitch lines that aren't 1/4", 3/8", or more from the firearm like some calling themselves holster makers.

Looks comfortable ;)

Sure here ya go! 

The sewn on panel was just a free hand line I drew on my template that I wanted to come up from the sight line to cover the trigger. I only used 5/6 on the front panel, so the reinforcement piece having some grip on the gun was what I was after. I used thinner leather on front because I'm playing around with trying to learn boning and forming, and I figured the thinner leather would one) show better detail and two) show my mistakes better so I learn what NOT to do next time. I also was experimenting with the airbrush and different colors, and didn't want to use my expensive Herman oak if something went awry, so I used what I had more of which was the 5/6.

As for my mismeasurement, I used my digital calipers to measure my slide width, divided by 2, then added a thickness of leather. I cant remember the exact numbers but my half measurement i think was somewhere around 14.95 millimeters or something and I read it as 1.49 and then added my thickness measurement and set my calipers to that number. My original front stitch line was right up against the leading edge of that reinforcement piece if that tells you anything. I used millimeters because my calipers don't show fractions and I figured it would be easier to not have to convert. 

On the texture, im not sure honestly. I know I had to work and work to get my gun in the holster for forming. After so much handling and stretching I started noticing the wrinkles in the leather. I had to stick a handle of a hammer down the inside of the holster and stretch it. I tried to smooth those wrinkles with my folder tool but it didn't smooth and dried like that. 

LC

20210128_095300.jpg

8 minutes ago, Loudcherokee said:

My original front stitch line

So you MOVED the front stitch line?  Looks pretty good, just trying to follow what you said.

That IS the angle I was talking about, too.  I was wondering if you took the panel ( and I think 6 oz is perfectly fine for that) through the curve.  Each his own, but I like to see the panel come around the gun as well.

SHOOOOT... I better get back to work! ;)

3 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

So you MOVED the front stitch line?  Looks pretty good, just trying to follow what you said.

That IS the angle I was talking about, too.  I was wondering if you took the panel ( and I think 6 oz is perfectly fine for that) through the curve.  Each his own, but I like to see the panel come around the gun as well.

SHOOOOT... I better get back to work! ;)

Yeah on the first holster the gun wouldn't even go in. So when I went back and remeasured I realized my mistake and drew new stitch lines on my template and cut out new pieces. When I get back home I'll snap some more pictures of the original holster and the template to explain it better hopefully. 

That panel is actually 7/8 and the front of the holster is 5/6. I was also planning to line the holster with 1/2 but that is black and it wouldn't have gone well with the color scheme so I left it out. I need to find some 1/2 for lining that isn't already colored but thats all I could find in cowhide on springfields website, other than pig hide.

LC

Edited by Loudcherokee

Turned out pretty nice. 

2 hours ago, Loudcherokee said:

pictures of the original holster and the template to explain it better hopefully. 

:thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, JLSleather said:

:thumbsup:

Ok, here's the original holster, and templates.

The line with the x's on it was the original stitch line. The template for the back was redone also, the white was the original and the Manila was the new back. 

The blue tape is because I'm using 8x11 card stock for my templates and its hard to fit a full size 1911 on one sheet so I joined 2. I need to get some 11x17 cardstock. 

LC

20210128_133206.jpg

20210128_133217.jpg

20210128_133238.jpg

20210128_133255.jpg

Not sure I'm following the order of events here (like which line  you used on the trailing edge of the gun) but I like where yer goin with it ;)

Why not extend the "panel" as well as the front piece?  Each his own, jus' wonderin'....

what I mean is ... that would be pretty close to what I have with this type :

20191213_174206.jpg

Edited by JLSleather

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

Not sure I'm following the order of events here (like which line  you used on the trailing edge of the gun) but I like where yer goin with it ;)

Why not extend the "panel" as well as the front piece?  Each his own, jus' wonderin'....

what I mean is ... that would be pretty close to what I have with this type :

20191213_174206.jpg

For some reason the pictures look fuzzy or have jagged lines. The trailing edge stitch line follows the trigger guard and down the bottom of the gun. On the front template I wrote "stitch line" with arrows to both stitch lines on the front of the holster, but due to the quality of the upload im not sure you can read that. 

As for the panel, I did not re-measure it after redoing the stitch line. I just used the same template as before. Hindsight I should have redone it also, to meet the front stitch line. 

LC

Full size 1911 is a bit bulky for IWB carry for me but to each his own!

1 hour ago, Rhale said:

Full size 1911 is a bit bulky for IWB carry for me but to each his own!

Lol at 6'1" and 260 I do it pretty easily. 60 pounds ago not so easy. Having a dad bod has SOME benefits lol. 

LC