Schlaumeier

Some of my stuff, mostly early medieval

Vindonissa pouch 3rd/4th century roman from modern day switzerland. Possibly made for wax tablets for writing

dscf3686tijaj.jpg

dscf36942ujbw.jpg

dscf37116kkdl.jpg

Also roman. Can't remember where it was found and how it dates. Late roman I think.

dscf2646kqkk5.jpg

Tarsoly style pouches, as they were found in a tenth century (viking age) context in Sweden. The actual origin is eastern europe though.

dscf4363stksd.jpg

dscf43643gkg9.jpg

dscf4365u1jwn.jpg

dscf264762k7y.jpg

dscf2649bdkor.jpg

Merowingian frankish/alamanic forage bag. Inspired by find from modern day Germany

2010-01-0100.00.00-8ppkvp.jpg

There is a single early medieval piece of leather from a ditch of the monestary on Iona, Scotland, to which I added a few more pieces in order to make this crude pouch, which holds my Feuerzeug (german for lighter but litteraly meaning fire stuff)

dscf2471pyjo0.jpg

Knife sheat inspired by a viking age find from Coppergate Road, York, United Kingdom

dscf2489hvj5y.jpg

Viking age pouch from Eide, Norway. The smaller one has the size of the original

dscf24996xjgg.jpg

dscf25005jkoq.jpg

Two Birka pouches, 10ths century (viking age), Sweden. The originals head gilded leather straps instead of the dark brown leather straps I used.

dscf25246ikx4.jpg

dscf2525fnk18.jpg

dscf3498vuk3h.jpg

dscf3502eikoa.jpg

Yes, indeed! I've been to Iona, Scotland, so I found that piece of special interest!

Thanks for sharing your work.  The historical context of each piece is interesting and shows that you must spend as much time in research as you do crafting. 

Where do you find the medallions? Are they historically accurate?

Also, is the 'weaving' technique the same in the Birka and Merowingian pieces? 

5 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

Thanks for sharing your work.  The historical context of each piece is interesting and shows that you must spend as much time in research as you do crafting. 

Where do you find the medallions? Are they historically accurate?

Also, is the 'weaving' technique the same in the Birka and Merowingian pieces? 

I think, the weaving technique itself can not be altered a lot. The main difference lies in the patterns. The Birka pieces I made have the origianal dimensions and patterns. For the merowingian piece I took my inspiration from a fragment of leather found in a grave of an alamanic woman. I was present when it was excavated but after the top of it had been unearthed, it was covered up again in order to conserve it, cut out with a block of earth and sent to the conservators. So I don't know what it exactly was. Surely it was not like the bag I made. However, the bit I saw, 10 to 20 square centimeteres (that's about four square inch?) was just woven leather, the whole area. And it was quite a bit finer than my work. I don't know any other merowingian finds decorated in this way, even though I have looked at many. So it might not be too typical of the time.

The bronze fixtures were made according to archaeological finds, yes. In this form they are mainly found in early medieval eastern europe. Here are two shops, which sell stuff like that:

http://www.gunnar.com.pl/de

https://www.reenactors-shop.de/en/dress-accessories/belt-mounts-belt-rings/mounts-viking-and-rus/

Sheilajeanne: There are also some shoes from Iona. I think this is the publication of it: https://www.jstor.org/stable/20568189?seq=1

Awesome work friend.