Sign in to follow this  
JustWakinUp

antler boners

I hear folks speaking of this alot. My questions are

1) Is there a certain size of antler that's best

2) Certain hardness the antler should be

3) or should I just find some road kill and cut one off and call it good?

I have them in a bunch of different sizes (diameters) most of them are elk sheds. Any smooth bone will do, but the tines are good for getting into belt slots on sheaths and holsters. Woods like cocobolo, paduk, and other oily woods work well also.

Art

I hear folks speaking of this alot. My questions are

1) Is there a certain size of antler that's best

2) Certain hardness the antler should be

3) or should I just find some road kill and cut one off and call it good?

What I always saw are guys looking for a good comfortable fit in their hand, and a pointy or whatever shaped end desired. You can sand horns, but don't let them bind in a Dremel, because burnt horn stinks.

Johanna

These are the ones that I use . I'd be lost without that small one . As far as getting one that fits good without having to sand it I have had my best luck with spikes. As you can see these have the same basic curve and they fit well in my hand. The great thing about finding one you like is that it is ready to go......The Buck did all the polishing for you.100_1550.jpg

post-33-1191626723_thumb.jpg

i too use spikes, cause nobody wants them (hunters dont want to part with those big racks!!). But i took fine grit paper and worked on them pretty good to get them as slick as i could.

Work with what you've got available. I had several so I found one that I liked the feel of and added a handle. I've got a couple of others in my pouch with different shapes (imagine that). Just whatever works for you. I do like them better than the plastic slickers. Haven't tried the wooden ones.

Keep on Smilin

Jim

slicker__.jpg

post-41-1191640851_thumb.jpg

I love antler for burnishing but I have a hell of a time keeping the deer calm when im doing it :angel_not: