Kolfinna

Bandolier/ammo pouch hybrid?

Hi everyone! 

I have a client who wants a simple ammo holder for some derringer shells. He only needs six shells and wants them individually held. Additionally, the pouch needs to sit open so the shells are readily accessible from his belt. 

I have a general idea sketched out, but recognizing that leather stretches over time, I don't want the shells falling out the bottom. My idea is to sew a series of pen loops to hold the shells but I'm not sure how best to make a bottom that would be smooth. I'm positive there's some geometry I'm missing here.

PXL_20210304_132302812~4.jpg

PXL_20210304_132302812~2.jpg

One last photo; I haven't officially cut anything out yet, realizing my biggest challenge is figuring out what's even possible.

I have a sneaking suspicion that wet-forming might be necessary. Thoughts? I'm making the loops from Hermann & Oak 2-3oz and the back is 3-4 oz H&O. 

PXL_20210304_132302812~3.jpg

This would be simple but the cartridge's might fall out or get dirty .   https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1021269949?pid=588390&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=bing&utm_campaign=Shooting+-+Range+Accessories&utm_content=588390&cm_mmc=pf_ci_bing-_-Shooting+-+Range+Accessories-_-Hunter-_-588390&msclkid=557099b748881a51ee06f9f7a98f7426&utm_term=1101131606244

I prefer one of these, i have used one for years hunting and my ammo stays nice and clean dry and ready to use, mine just has 5 shells in the bottom flap that falls down and out of the way of the flap for easy access. .https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101381603?pid=154219

Just playing around on Power Point, but this is what I was thinking...

Proposed Idea.PNG

The shells' rims are wider than the casing. If you use fim tempered leather you shouldn't have that problem. Still, if you want to be completely sure, you can wet mold around the shells. I'd use snap caps to mould over, though.

10 hours ago, Kolfinna said:

Hi everyone! 

I have a client who wants a simple ammo holder for some derringer shells. He only needs six shells and wants them individually held. Additionally, the pouch needs to sit open so the shells are readily accessible from his belt. 

I have a general idea sketched out, but recognizing that leather stretches over time, I don't want the shells falling out the bottom. My idea is to sew a series of pen loops to hold the shells but I'm not sure how best to make a bottom that would be smooth. I'm positive there's some geometry I'm missing here.

Many cops from decades back carried ammo in a belt carrier for their revolvers . . . very similar to the Ebay picture here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Alligator-leather-Cartridge-Ammo-case-Belt-Carrier-Gator-30-cal-357-FB7/202642612871?hash=item2f2e70e287:g:c5MAAOSwH2RcUMdr

If you want to make one of these . . . take a suggestion . . . make the carrier portion out of 7 oz vegetable tanned leather . . . make the loops out of 4 oz vegetable tanned leather.

Cut the slots for the loops 1/16 of an inch shorter than the width of the loop material . . . get the loop material very wet (not dripping . . . just wet) . . . and form them around the actual type of ammo the person will be carrying.  Don't use snap caps . . . unless you plan on hammering the ends of the cartridges while forming them.  Snap caps many times are not the size of real ammo . . . 

Don't worry about the leather "stretching" . . . if you form it right . . . that belt carrier will be serviceable for 20 years providing it is not seriously  abused.

Closing up the bottom under the cartridge makes you have to drag it out of the holder by it's rim . . . a precarious thing to have to try to do if you seriously need to reload that two shooter.  Leaving the bottom so you can lift the bullet up by the index finger . . . is much quicker and easier.  If you make it quick and easy with the bottom covered . . . the bullets will probably fall out given the chance.

And yes . . . I have made a bunch of cartridge belts.

Use the pictures below to show you how to lace the loops.  Put a stitch or rivet at each end of the loops.  As you can see . . . the loop goes into and out of the same hole as it makes the loop.

May God bless,

Dwight

cartridge example 1.jpg

cartridge example 4.jpg

Edited by Dwight