magdy

Thread that does not change its color

Hello, I am new to leather crafting. I just want to know which type and material of waxed thread you would recommend for stitching leather items that will be subject to the sunlight and a lot of contact with the skin, inner pockets and sweat. I usually use 1 or 1.2 ml thread.

Someone recommended polyester thread, and especially Ritza Tiger, do polyester threads keep their color over long period of time particularly when subjected to a lot of contact with skin or scratches within pocket? I used before waxed cotton thread and within weeks the color faded away. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks for your help.

The color in a polyester is created through a chemical process, not dying like with a cotton or linen. It will hold color longer, but not indefinitely. UV light will cause it to degrade over time (think about outdoor furniture graying) but it will be gradual. They each have their place and strength so I would choose the thread based on the project and finished look I was attempting to achieve.

Also, what kind of customer you got that is checking the colorfastness of thread inside a pocket? They may be more trouble than what they are worth. Also, inside a pocket should be pretty well protected against UV unless it is thin or gauzy.

The sun will win every battle, every time.