Sign in to follow this  
JHLeatherwood

Finishing Horween leather?

Making my first wallet from Horween - derby and cavalier of that matters. 

On past wallets, I've dyed natural beef tan and at the end applies and rubbed in fiebings atom wax /leather balm. I'm not a fan of the resene/mop-n-glo sealers with some. 

This one has pull-up leather on the outside. Other than a good brush with my horsehair brush, what should I do to the leather to wrap this project up? 

If it has pull up it is probably oil tan and there isn't much you can do for a finish. It is the oils and waxes that give the pull up effect.

A quick coating of CMC (carboxymethylcellulose) is a nice approach.  It's not a hardcore protective finish but does make a product display- or sale-ready.

Horween leather--in nearly all cases--is sold finished.  From there it's the question of using the right leather for your purpose.

If it's a pull-up leather, there is not a ton you can do.  You can put thin leather along the seam and "bind" the edges.  If you don't like Resolene then maybe you can tell us which products you like to work with and we can help from there.  If I was out of Resolene I might just go with a nice beeswax edge finish, topped with  a little shoe polish to give the edges a nice satin sheen.  Then I use Resolene but I don't know you don't prefer that.