Faithfulcowgirl

Weaver Cub trouble shooting

I got the Weaver Cub manual machine about a month or so ago , I will preface this and say I love it. I do not do well with motors any kind. 

when I first got it I did a couple small projects to get the feel of it. No problems at all. 

The hubby helped me finish my workshop and we moved the machine and my other equipment in. 
my problem now since it’s been moved and used regularly.

it’s skipping stitches, occasionally thread is fraying and sometimes breaking, or getting stuck and I can’t move the needle. 
yes I have changed needles , multiple times. I feel like a needle should last more than a tack set ? Maybe I’m wrong. 
Using Schmetz chisel point,  size 200 (what the machine came with. ) 207 thread on the bottom and 277 on top. 

im guessing the timing is slightly off due to it being moved ? 
Or it’s operator error (would not surprise me, I’m not mechanically inclined but trying to be. ) abd easily frustrated

I have video of the bobbin casing showing when it’s missing stitches. The top thread doesn’t seem to pick the bottom up. 
occasionally the thread gets stuck on the bobbin casing. 

I plan on calling weaver on Monday to trouble shoot with them but figured I would see if anyone has any ideas.

to me it looks like the hook tip is shredding the top thread. I would try to lower the needle bar a little bit. What does the manual say regarding needle / hook timing?

EDIT:

I don´t know the Weaver machine in particular but usually on large barrel hook machines you bring the NB to bottom dead center and raise it 4mm - 5.5mm (depends on machine) and at this point the the hook tip should meet needle in the center of the needle scarf or 2.5mm above the needle eye to ensure the hook tip is gripping the thread loop properly.

EDIT II:

I just checked the manual it says you should call Weaver if you have a timing issue :wacko:

If you call them maybe you can share the needle / hook timing values

Edited by Constabulary

I’ll be calling them Monday. Will definitely share, there isn’t much if any info out there on troubleshooting issues with these. 
something is definitely off, they have a guarantee so if it’s not something I can fix , I should be able to exchange 

The hook is shredding the thread just occasionally so IMO the needle bar is too high. That usually is a very small problem and easy to fix when you have the timing values. As a workaround w/o knowing the timing values and if it was my machine I would loosen the 2 screws that hold the needle bar in place and just lower the NB a tiny bit (maybe 0.5mm - 1mm) and check again. Again - this is what I would do or try w/o knowing this particular machine. But the NB/ Hook timing is very similar on this type of sewing machines.

Bild1.thumb.jpg.791b46ae10bd0fe7f61b218ed6add1c2.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

10 hours ago, Constabulary said:

The hook is shredding the thread just occasionally so IMO the needle bar is too high. That usually is a very small problem and easy to fix when you have the timing values. As a workaround w/o knowing the timing values and if it was my machine I would loosen the 2 screws that hold the needle bar in place and just lower the NB a tiny bit (maybe 0.5mm - 1mm) and check again. Again - this is what I would do or try w/o knowing this particular machine. But the NB/ Hook timing is very similar on this type of sewing machines.

Bild1.thumb.jpg.791b46ae10bd0fe7f61b218ed6add1c2.jpg

Thank you, I will give this a shot. I’m not experienced with sewing machines and am kinda learning as I go. Unfortunately there are limited YouTube videos for this machine

Did you ever figure out your problem? I got a Cub a month ago and I’m having the same problem. I can get it to stitch consistently but maybe once in every 12” of stitching I get a problem the same as you have shown in your video. Also experiencing skipped stitches and inconsistency with centering the knot in the work piece. I’m growing pretty frustrated with this thing!

I to am having the same problem. Did this adjustment fix the problem? Weaver support has bee great in trying to help but can't figure it out either. I've even sent it back under warranty.... got back and about a week later it's back to same problem. I'm really regretting this purchase. For the money it should do better. I'll give the above fix a try and respond with what I got as a result.

I don't have any experience with this machine. That said, if it is shredding the top thread and it gets jammed in the shuttle, it could be caused by an improperly set, or actually bypassed check spring. That spring comes after the top tension and any secondary disks and before the take-up lever. It would help if you could post a photo showing the top thread path from the top tension disks until it goes through the take-up lever (and on to the needle).