Dumbo

Tooling leather

:popcorn:I am starting to do leather work again after about 50 years. I am going through a relearning curve. I just finished a clutch purse. I made a few mistakes. The average person probably wouldn’t see them. Now I am starting on a clutch purse and handbag for my daughter. I am wanting to raise part of the flowers. Many years ago I did it to a holster I made. I don’t remember what the process is called. I do remember cutting a piece of leather the put under the part I wanted to raise. I just don’t remember the process. I know I had to sculpt the piece I was putting under the leather to raise it. I am sure it is in one of the many books I have from 50 years ago. I just didn’t want to wait until I ran across it. If anyone out there is close to my age that would know I would appreciate your help. Thanks, George 

It's called a petal lifter tool

https://proleathercarvers.com/products/b60-undercut-beveler-petal-lifter-1

no  affiliation with the site, just googled.

I think he might be talking about embossing. A really good, easy to follow book is available free online through tandy leather. Here is the link to Al Stohlman's book on embossing.

https://tandyleather.com/blogs/leathercraft-library/the-art-of-embossing-leather-by-al-and-ann-stohlman

"I do remember cutting a piece of leather the put under the part I wanted to raise. "   yup embossing and most still use the same books you probably already have the Stohlman books are great.