Boicie

Combination Tan Question

I was doing some brousing and came accross something called "Combination Tan" leather. I've had some difficulty with dyeing myself so I was just looking around to see what options I had to buy dyed leather in colours that are not grey, brown, black and white. I came accross a couple that I'll put the links to here but they say they're "Combination Tan".

Frankly, what is that and how will it work with other stuff I'm using? My research says its when the leather is tanned with a mix of Chrome and Veg elements giving a softer finish but one that might break down a bit. I've only used Veg tan - so far as I know although looking at this, I'm not so sure now - and was wondering if I can mix this stuff with other Veg Tan leather; i.e. sew a piece of veg onto this. I understand Chrome and Veg don't do well together when you try this.

I'm assuming someone here has workedo n Combination Tan stuff, what are the advantages/disadvantages and am I thinking about this stuff the right way?

Thanks!

https://www.austanners.com.au/product-page/bowden-side-in-mahogany-2-2-2mm

https://www.austanners.com.au/product-page/kensington-milled-side-in-olive-2-2-2mm

45 minutes ago, Boicie said:

I'm assuming someone here has workedo n Combination Tan stuff, what are the advantages/disadvantages and am I thinking about this stuff the right way?

That is latigo leather... don't be afraid of it, you might just fall in love with it.

Any latigo I've used has bled color for years.

2 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Any latigo I've used has bled color for years.

What are you using it for that it bleeds? I'm only using it for making bags and have never had the color rub off. 

A friend wanted a latigo shooting bag. The color bled all over his brain tan buckskins, and the shoulder of his shirt. I made a belt for another person and the colr went everywhere. A few knife sheaths have done the same thing.

38 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

color bled all over

That is so sad. I have never had anything like that happen, and have been using latigo for over 50 years. 

12 minutes ago, LatigoAmigo said:

That is so sad. I have never had anything like that happen, and have been using latigo for over 50 years. 

Do you use anything to seal it afterward? I've got Resoline and Oakwood Conditioner.

From your username, I think you're the best person to ask :P 

5 minutes ago, Boicie said:

From your username, I think you're the best person to ask :P

These days I tend to shy away from latigo with a soft temper, so I don't use any sealer, only conditioners, like Fiebings Aussie Leather Conditioner or Neatsfoot oil, so Oakwood Conditioner would be a good choice. Because of the oils and fats that have been infused into latigo, Resoline may not provide the same finish that it does when applied to a veg tanned leather. I've tried it twice and it seemed to just disappear.

@Boicie  To further confuse the urge to categorize latigo leather, here is a description of Horween's latigo from Maverick Leather's website:

"Horween’s Latigo line is a full grain, veg retan leather. Characterized by a beautiful tight grain and made in a full range of color, finishes, weights and tempers. Many people think of Latigo as the original saddlery style leather. While Horween will produce it in matte or gloss finishes, heavy or soft tempers, it can also be produced in a full aniline, semi aniline, or pigment finishes, as well as naked, hand glazed or waxed."