Sign in to follow this  
Mulesaw

Singer 7H501 threading problems

I managed to buy a Singer class 7 machine last week.

The machine is a 7H501 built in 1905 according to the serial number. The machine is in good condition, being stored in a heated shop for the last 20 years or so. 
I have cleaned all the bearing points and the sliding surfaces and given it a good oiling. It runs very smooth and I have made it sew, but the upper thread pulls too hard on the lower thread , and I am not sure that I have threaded it correctly.

Does anyone have a manual or a similar machine that they can take a picture of so I can see the routing of the upper thread through the tension devices? 

Thanks in advance

@Constabulary

Sorry, I forgot to post some pictures in the heat of the battle :-)

I was frustrated that I couldn't figure it out. The machine seems to be a bit older than the 7-33 that I was able to find a threading instruction for.
There is a regular tension device with two discs at the upper part of the machine, at the bottom of the end there is something that looks like a tension device, but it is just a pulley that is held in place by the spring. The hairpin spring is what puzzles me, I am not quite sure when the thread should go through that one.

I messed around a bit and made it sew, but it jumped off the lower pulley after sewing for a bit (It did make a nice stitch with even tension on the upper and lower thread)

I also tried another routing of the thread, and that gave a lot of tension on the upper thread compared to the lower thread. 

I suppose that I could also tighten the lower thread, but I figured that it was best to make sure that I had the other things correct before starting with that.

Brgds Jonas

IMG_2898.jpg.271dcb3f246bed043bf2c9f7c8263230.jpg

IMG_2899.jpg.c99f4d331b91823eb1c7b8b80d6e3f4a.jpg

IMG_2901.jpg.43c1dc336620f6a69f64e7a596aa4726.jpg

IMG_2902.jpg.d406aca0b91c95bafab630fb966bae35.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg.c7ef6188aeec61de1f0e0518fab6688d.jpg

IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

This comes from an Adler 20 manul but the machine is very similar. Hope this picture is helpful:

Bild3.jpg

Edited by Constabulary

@Constabulary Thanks a lot. This is perfect. 

I can see now that all my previous attempts were wrong :-) 

Best regards

Jonas

hello, i am planing to buy a class7h501, can you tell me the difference between this machine and a 7-33 please?

Edited by pierre2171

On 8/27/2021 at 8:09 AM, Mulesaw said:

@Constabulary Thanks a lot. This is perfect. 

I can see now that all my previous attempts were wrong :-) 

Best regards

Jonas

On the second tension unit marked #23 wrap the thread around it 1 & 1/2 times.

18 minutes ago, pierre2171 said:

hello, i am planing to buy a class7h501, can you tell me the difference between this machine and a 7-33 please?

Main differences are the 7-33 has a larger bobbin & 2 feet that walk,this model has a single jump foot & they thread different.

37 minutes ago, CowboyBob said:

Main differences are the 7-33 has a larger bobbin & 2 feet that walk,this model has a single jump foot & they thread different.

Bob thanks, do you think it can be used to sew leather wallets or stuff like this even if it was for sails making...? its what i red somewhere.

jump foot is easy to handle to sew, or what?  i wanted a class 7 and i rather pay a 7h501 600e than a 7-33 at 2k.

23 hours ago, pierre2171 said:

Bob thanks, do you think it can be used to sew leather wallets or stuff like this even if it was for sails making...? its what i red somewhere.

jump foot is easy to handle to sew, or what?  i wanted a class 7 and i rather pay a 7h501 600e than a 7-33 at 2k.

The thinnest leather this will handle is 10 oz or 4mm using size#138 thread,it should sew up to 1/2",32oz or 13mm

9 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

The thinnest leather this will handle is 10 oz or 4mm using size#138 thread,it should sew up to 1/2",32oz or 13mm

Thanks a lot Bob!!