CopeKid1776

C.S. Osbourne Western Edger

Hello everybody, I recently purchased a size two and size three C.S. Osbourne Western Edgers, they did not arrive sharp and I do not know the best way to sharpen them, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

I'm by no means an expert in this but I can relate what I do.  For my round edgers I make a strop by rounding the edge of the appropriate thickness stiff leather and use it with compound to strop the inside curve, the bottom I simply strop on a flat leather with compound.  If they are are truly dull you can start by honing the bottom on a fine/ultra fine ceramic or Arkansas stone before you strop.  I have also had some success using an appropriate thickness of cotton cord with compound for the inside curve stropping.  One end of the cord gets secured to something that doesn't move and you hold the free end taut. 

There are a several videos on YouTube on how to do this.  Just type in "sharpening edge beveler".  I had watched on by Tandy some time back and it was good, but I couldn't find it quickly this morning.  What @Squid61 said is spot on.  I actually made my own stropping board by gluing 9/10 oz leather to a board.  I will load it up with compound, then pull the beveler backwards at a 45 degree angle on the outside edge of the leather.  As if I am beveling in reverse.  Hope this helps.

Well, Pastor Bob, you've beaten me to it........Search YouTube for 'sharpening an edge beveler', or 'how to sharpen an edge beveler' and there are loads of videos. Even if you can't find the make you're looking for, there is enough advice & information to work something out for yourself

I made a stropping board by beveling the edge of a piece of natural veg tan leather; cutting it off about 5 mm wide; gluing that onto a board so the rounded edge is uppermost; loading it with stropping compound, and using that. It shapes & conforms to your edger after a few goes. Use a couple of different thicknesses to suit your edgers

I've also left space on the board for steel or bamboo rods  onto which I lay fine wet & dry paper; and glued on a 1 1/2" strip of leather to make a small strop, which saves getting out the big one. This is similar to the one shown by LB Custom Knives, but there are others

I also have a couple of lengths of cord & thread loaded with compound for a pull - through. Tie a loop in the end to put over a nail knocked into a convenient place in the workshop - but not so convenient that you catch yourself on it seventeen times a day.

Edited by zuludog