Sign in to follow this  
AbelJojua

Singer 29k53

Hi group! I am completely new to this website and leatherwork so thank you for having me! I want to purchase this 29k, however seller doesn’t have much info on it.

it seems that the stitch length is rather long, bobbin winder has parts missing ... anything else that jumps out for you experienced people ? Many thanks !

362D4DB6-3C7B-4D10-AF3D-762C69375E64.jpeg

0176C77D-FE58-4E59-BF99-F3C8DE12CCFE.jpeg

7 hours ago, AbelJojua said:

I want to purchase this 29k, however seller doesn’t have much info on it.

My take on the machine:

1) The instruction manual seems a bit difficult to source but the parts manual can be had at https://www.hendersonsewing.com/manual.asp?page=63 from the Henderson Sewing Machine Company.

2) If I'm not mistaken the machine dates to around early 1930's.

3) The duck tape on the bobbin cover, that's not right indicates the catch level is damaged.

4) Is there a second bobbin cover. Originally there were two bobbin covers depending on the size of needle you were going to sew with.

5) With the way the machine is setup with the hand wheel on the far end indicates it was setup to be belt driven not hand powered and bolted to a cast iron base. Trying to reach the hand wheel to sew is going to be difficult to say the least.

6) Where is the cast iron base, drive belt and flat table top attachment?

7) The adapter, large head screw and hand wheel engaging clutch assembly is missing to put the hand wheel on the side of the machine for hand power operation.

8) I don't see a threading rod for threading the top thread down inside the head.

9) The stitch length could be as simple as the adjuster isn't set properly or worn out internal parts.

10) The overall condition of the machine indicates it was stored in a damp area. 

There is a good three part youtube video ( youtube.com/watch?v=95S6IvyPAN0 ) showing the restoration of a 29k 51 which has some slightly different internal parts as outlined in the Henderson linked parts manual this machine. For me, I would pass on the machine unless the price was under $100 and I wanted a project machine to strip down, repaint and replace worn out parts. What is the seller asking?

Just my opinion,

kgg

In the UK there are quite a number of spare parts available for the 29K71 series, some may also work o the 53, these are new or original items. you may find a supply in your country where ever that may be see

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/parts-by-machine/singer-sewing-machine-parts/singer-29k-71-parts

As Kgg states the handwheel that fits on the front makes life a lot easier and it the needle plate is held on by tape, that could be the sign of a well used and poorly maintained machine.

7 hours ago, kgg said:

My take on the machine:

1) The instruction manual seems a bit difficult to source but the parts manual can be had at https://www.hendersonsewing.com/manual.asp?page=63 from the Henderson Sewing Machine Company.

2) If I'm not mistaken the machine dates to around early 1930's.

3) The duck tape on the bobbin cover, that's not right indicates the catch level is damaged.

4) Is there a second bobbin cover. Originally there were two bobbin covers depending on the size of needle you were going to sew with.

5) With the way the machine is setup with the hand wheel on the far end indicates it was setup to be belt driven not hand powered and bolted to a cast iron base. Trying to reach the hand wheel to sew is going to be difficult to say the least.

6) Where is the cast iron base, drive belt and flat table top attachment?

7) The adapter, large head screw and hand wheel engaging clutch assembly is missing to put the hand wheel on the side of the machine for hand power operation.

8) I don't see a threading rod for threading the top thread down inside the head.

9) The stitch length could be as simple as the adjuster isn't set properly or worn out internal parts.

10) The overall condition of the machine indicates it was stored in a damp area. 

There is a good three part youtube video ( youtube.com/watch?v=95S6IvyPAN0 ) showing the restoration of a 29k 51 which has some slightly different internal parts as outlined in the Henderson linked parts manual this machine. For me, I would pass on the machine unless the price was under $100 and I wanted a project machine to strip down, repaint and replace worn out parts. What is the seller asking?

Just my opinion,

kgg

Thank you so much ! I appreciate your effort and knowledge! I very much rather pay the market price for a good condition one, seller is asking for 350$... he has a newer 29k58 he’s asking for 930$...  I just want a machine to use immediately and not have to worry much as I’m a student with many deadlines 

14 minutes ago, chrisash said:

In the UK there are quite a number of spare parts available for the 29K71 series, some may also work o the 53, these are new or original items. you may find a supply in your country where ever that may be see

https://www.college-sewing.co.uk/parts-by-machine/singer-sewing-machine-parts/singer-29k-71-parts

As Kgg states the handwheel that fits on the front makes life a lot easier and it the needle plate is held on by tape, that could be the sign of a well used and poorly maintained machine.

Thank you for the guidance ! Yes I agree, the tape is a bit suspicious. And the seller wasn’t happy to disclose any real information on the condition of the machine, only that it needs some “TLC”

Ditto to what the others have said.

My comment is mainly on the stitch length.
The way the stitch length is adjusted in the moment form the pictures, it should do very fine stitches. maybe like 20 stitches per inch.  And it looks more like 4 stitches per inch to me. 

I think that either the needle is not the correct length, or there could be some issues with the timing gears for the bobbin.  From what I have read on this forum, the gears for those patchers aren't replaceable with the gears for the newer 29K71 series. And the original gears are very hard to find (I could be wrong here though).

Also the absence of the cast iron table and the foot operation would stop me from buying it. 
A little bit of practice, and the foot operation seems natural - and makes for both hands to be free to help steer stuff around.

Depending on what you want to make, I think that those small patchers are great machines. I have found a niche market in replacing zippers in riding boots using one like this machine. Not too difficult to do, and it provides a bit of money to pay for the hobby.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

Welcome to the forum :-)

3 hours ago, AbelJojua said:

I very much rather pay the market price for a good condition one, seller is asking for 350$... he has a newer 29k58 he’s asking for 930$...

I would look for something in the 29k 70 series of machines. Where are you located? Someone my be able to recommend something in your area.

kgg