matnez

Adler 69 reverse stitch problem

Hi,

I’ve recently brought an Adler 69.

I’m having issues when I come to do a back stitch at the beginning and end of my work. When the machine does the first back stitch it is pulling the bottom thread right up and over the stitch hole. I have attached a picture showing the issue, in it I have used black thread on the top and white on the bottom so it shows the problem clearly. 
I cannot for the life of me work out what is causing it and how to rectify it.

I have been told by the seller that it possibly could be down to timing or the reverse cam out of sync.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2494F856-3BE2-46B7-AC41-2A5CDF1F1618.jpeg

Verify the timing and change the needle, adjusting as necessary. Then balance the threads to center the knots. Make sure the check spring stops moving down after the needle fully penetrates the leather.

Are you holding both ends of the thread for the first few stitches tightly

What size needle and thread are you using in this picture.?

I never noticed this problem with mine

10 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Verify the timing and change the needle, adjusting as necessary. Then balance the threads to center the knots. Make sure the check spring stops moving down after the needle fully penetrates the leather.

Thanks for your response. 

The machine was fully setup and serviced before I brought it so I'm assuming the timing is set right, the needle is new as well. When you talk about the check spring do you mean the part in this picture?

IMG_1057-2.JPG

7 hours ago, chrisash said:

Are you holding both ends of the thread for the first few stitches tightly

Yes, I am doing that. This issue also happens at when I reverse the stitch at any point in the stitch line.

2 hours ago, paloma said:

What size needle and thread are you using in this picture.?

I never noticed this problem with mine

I using the following thread and needle which the machine was set up to use. Pictures below

8 hours ago, matnez said:

I using the following thread and needle which the machine was set up to use.

You are using to small of a needle for Tex135 ( V138 ) thread should be a #22 for fabric / thin leather ; #23 for leather; and sometimes depending on how tough and thick #24.

Check out " tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html " for what size of thread goes with what needle size.

kgg

I noticed  that the tension in the reverse stitch is out. In this photo the two left hand rows of stitches are reversed and the two on the right are normal forward stitch.

IMG_1056 3-2-2.jpg

5 minutes ago, kgg said:

You are using to small of a needle for Tex135 ( V138 ) thread should be a #22 for fabric / thin leather ; #23 for leather; and sometimes depending on how tough and thick #24.

Check out " tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html " for what size of thread goes with what needle size.

kgg

Thanks for your help, I'm new to all of this so is the needle size I'm using a #18?

4 minutes ago, matnez said:

I noticed  that the tension in the reverse stitch is out.

I think a couple of problems:

To small a needle, so there isn't really enough space in the hole the needle made and you don't have enough top tension which until you use the right needle you will not be able to properly get.

1 minute ago, matnez said:

Thanks for your help, I'm new to all of this so is the needle size I'm using a #18?

A # 18 needle is good for a much smaller thread Tex 70 (V69).

kgg

15 minutes ago, kgg said:

I think a couple of problems:

To small a needle, so there isn't really enough space in the hole the needle made and you don't have enough top tension which until you use the right needle you will not be able to properly get.

A # 18 needle is good for a much smaller thread Tex 70 (V69).

kgg

Great, thank you. So is this a better size to try? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCHMETZ-DPX5-NM-160-SIZE-23-INDUSTRIAL-SEWING-MACHINE-REGULAR-POINT-NEEDLES-/272860735448?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=EAIaIQobChMIi7vdyPur8wIVhP93Ch2ObgqKEAQYAiABEgLGjvD_BwE

Is it a simple case of just swapping the needle over?

I just done a bit more looking around and realised the needles I linked above aren't the correct one. I have now found these which I believe to be correct

I have just tested the machine with a Tex 80 thread and that seems to work without the issue so I think you're right, the needle is too small for the thread. I will get the larger needles and hopefully that will solve the problem.

When I get the larger needles do I need to change anything on the machine or is it simple a case of swapping them over?

Edited by matnez

35 minutes ago, matnez said:

When I get the larger needles do I need to change anything on the machine or is it simple a case of swapping them over?

Just a simple swap out .

kgg