Bakhtavar

Belt Strap hole positioning & sizing

Hi,

Can any one help me get the exact position of the holes in a 3 holes belt? I currently do 5 inch from the strap end for 5 holes. Also, what size should the hole punch be if the buckle pin is 4mm wide? I saw it in an hermes belt that they do 3 holes configuration but I’m finding to hard to what distance to punch the holes from either ends. 

Edited by Bakhtavar

Questions with a multitude of answers

Size of punch first, for a 4mm tongue I do a 4mm wide hole, but I use an oval hole punch so the hole is 4mm x 5mm

The distance between holes can be what you like; on a lady's belt I go about 12mm between ends, about 16mm between centres, on a man's belt I go 16mm between ends, about 20mm between centres. On a shield strap I go 20mm between ends, about 24mm between centres

How much billet to leave from the end to the first hole? whatever you like or whatever looks good. About 70 to 100mm maybe

For standard belts ,  I have 100mm from the tip of the belt to the first hole, then 30mm apart thereafter . I  always do 6 holes*.I use a # 5 hole (rotary) punch , not too big, not too small, also good for  some 'trophy buckle'  pins .  Any others are custom made  and according to the buckle specs.  The measurement is taken from the the 3rd hole back. ( centre hole,  Al Stohlman method) 

*I did put only  5 holes in once , but quite often  the customer  would ask for an extra hole, so 6 holes stayed. 

HS

Size of hole really depends upon the buckle you're using.  Prongs done have any standard size, so you have to adjust the size of holes accordingly.  Having said that, the worst look to me is when the holes are too small and they get stretched out of shape.  When you move from hole-to-hole the empty holes look awful as a result.  So make sure the prong slides freely through the hole.

The other thing is to consider a belt template.  There are many out there and you can certainly make your own.  You can get or make one for both the buckle and the tab ends.  Makes things pretty simple.