Squilchuck

Design and hardware for balanced-ride saddle

I've been asked about making a balanced-ride barrel/gaming saddle.  I've made six saddles, and had a balanced ride saddle in the past so am familiar w the rigging etc. I recall that most of the saddle follows conventional design, except for the in-skirt rigging, stirrup leather attachments, and a pretty flat seat.  Is that right, or are there other different design features?  She can loan me a b-r saddle to reverse engineer the construction principles. 

Another question is where to get the particular hardware for securing the stirrup leathers (large screw etc. for swivel action) and adjusting them (same function as Blevins buckles). Got a source for these?  Other suggestions? --John 

John,

I know nothing about balance-ride saddles, but with only 6 saddles under your belt, I would suggest that you are not ready to experiment.  I built a knock-off of a Pat Perelli saddle, or at least the best I could from looking at photos on the internet.  I was dissatisfied, and I believe the customer was also unhappy.  This customer thought I could save him a couple thousand dollars, and I wanted the practice.  His savings was not worth it to me, and it was a saddle that I would rather forget.

Just my experience, Ron.

Right, hard to make a saddle from photographs on the internet. I can make it if I have a real saddle on hand to measure etc.  Need that hardware though. 

Monte Foreman put out a book, I think. Trees were custom made. All-in-all, try to convince customer that it should not have been allowed to use word balanced. Required tension for 'balance'

Edited by oltoot
fingers faster than mind