kgg

What happen to the GA5-1 and GA5-5 Machines

I am looking for a basic no frills motor driven machine that can handle V346 thread. What ever happened to the basic GA5-1 and GA5-5 machines? They seemed to be popular six or seven years ago. Were they discontinued because of problems?

kgg

I think Cowboy CB105 / Cowboy CB2500 is the GA5 type you are looking for.

Other than than Singer 45K, Adler 5, Adler 105 are in the same class.

Edited by Constabulary

4 hours ago, kgg said:

I am looking for a basic no frills motor driven machine that can handle V346 thread. What ever happened to the basic GA5-1 and GA5-5 machines? They seemed to be popular six or seven years ago. Were they discontinued because of problems?

kgg

The Cowboy CB2500 is like the GA5 machines. It is available from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines with either a flat or roller foot.

3 hours ago, Constabulary said:

I think Cowboy CB105 / Cowboy CB2500 is the GA5 type you are looking for.

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

he Cowboy CB2500 is like the GA5 machines. It is available from Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines with either a flat or roller foot.

Thank you both.

kgg

kgg I think the Cowboy that's sold today is made by the same outfit that made the GA5, slightly enhanced.  Some have reverse for a little extra cash.

What do you plan to sew on one of these?   They're pretty much a copy of the old Singer 45.     

I'd say they're somewhat limited in practical use, as they only seem to have a feed dog.   You can sew leather or nylon mostly fine, but this machine will have no ability to pull material to speak of, nor will it be able to climb at all over various thickness leather.     It will probably leave feed dog marks on the underside. (Not always an issue though).

I can't say it wont work for you of course, it might work on what you have planned for it.  They're being made and sold, so they have to be working for some.   I'd say your best bet is to buy the roller foot to go with it.

Are you planning to sew leather?  

Sometimes you can get machine of a different flavor to work for your projects. 20 Years ago, before I had a building full of machinery and working out of a portable building in the backyard,  I bought my first "stitcher"  an Adler 205-25.  I think I paid $800 for it not really understanding what it was.  While it was made for moccasins, it did work well for what I was making at the time.  That machine had a lower feed dog and "foot feed" similar to the old Singer Shoe Patchers, but no needle feed and no reverse.   That combination would be slightly superior in feeding ability to your GA5, but It was very prone to slipping or not feeding and still did not climb very well.  Harness or bridle leathers that were well greased up were extremely difficult to control.