Sign in to follow this  
Meandmy1963

Help finding the leather that I need

So I've decided to make everyone in the family a wallet for Xmas. I need to make about 8 wallets. I figure a decent sized side of leather would do the trick. Now I am on a bit of a budget this year and will only be able to spend about $100 on leather. Which isn't really a problem as there are plenty of $100 veg tan sides out there. So I just had a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with. #1) Buckleguy has these Korba buffalo calf hides for around $50-$60. I figure 2 of those will be enough for me. Has anyone had any experience with those? If so do you think a couple 3-3.5oz hides will do the trick? #2) if I were to just get a $100 side, where should I order from? Looks like Springfield, Tandy, and maybe another that I forgot about has something like this. So if you were to buy a $100 side for wallets, what and where would you get? Honestly I kinda like a 3oz for wallets. So a 3-3.5oz would work I think. I don't really make many wallets so maybe you could include your preferred thickness for wallets. Thank you so much for taking the time to read

Edited by Meandmy1963

You didn't mention whether you intend to tool the leather.  That would be good to know.  My "go to" has always been Springfield Leather Co.  I suggest you consider picking up the phone and calling them.  Tell them what you are looking for and see what options they have.  They have a ton of leather and it is hard (for me) sometimes to weed through all of the offerings.  So maybe just asking them directly, similarly to what you've done here will help.

One advantage they have is they do offer to sell leather by the square foot, something not all suppliers are willing to do.  So if you want to mix-and-match types and/or colors of leather you can probably do so.

That is exactly what I am going to do if I don't get the answers I need here. Springfield is great and their customer service is amazing. I just call and have them hand pick what I need. They're always helpful. I do not plan to tool the leather. Also, I will likely be burnishing the edges rather than painting them

What type of wallet?  Horizontal 9 pocket, vertical 6 pocket or something minimalist or card holder like?  The more layers the thicker it gets.  Do you plan on T-pockets?  How about skiving?  If you're burnishing then you must use veg tan.  Does Springfield have much of a selection of thinnish veg?  How much experience do you have making wallets?  Are you OK with leather that is scarred or has other blemishes?  Are you planning on all the wallets matching and using the same leather? Men's or Women's (unisex) wallets?  The more concise the question, the better the answer.

I've tried the Korba and some colors look better than others.  The red and black look nice.  Rather than darkening they get smoother and shinier.  The backs weren't bad but they ought to be burnished with Tokonole.  There are nicer leathers available if you could bump your budget up to $150 to $200.  If you figure how many square feet or there about per wallet, you could make a wiser decision of the type and amount of leather.

I line my wallets but if I were to make an unlined typical nine pocket bifold, I would use 1.5 mm for the back, 1 mm for the other side of the cash pocket and .8mm for the pockets.  So that would be 2/3 and 3/4 ounces, I suppose.   .