HondoMan

Plough gauge measure offset

Right then, a question for the hive mind.

I am leaving out the maker's brand / name for a reason.  I am, however, interested what you lot think on this.  The measure part of the gauge is offset by 2.5mm.  The blade is 1.8mm thick.  Let's say 2mm to make this simple.  With a properly sharpened bevel, the edge of the knife would be centered to 1mm.  Therefore the offset would be 1mm.  Due to a 2.5mm offset of the measure, each time I use the plough gauge, I need to calculate an additional 1.5mm. 

Am I making sence?  I'm never owned a plough gauge.  I've always used the pull gauges.  This seems odd to me or am I missing something.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to the replies and opinions.

Cheers!

20211110_091114a.jpg

20211110_091405a.jpg

set it on a number like 2cm/inches  cut a test strap then measure the strap, the difference  is your offset.

I am taking it that you have already cut a strap at a set figure of the Plough Gauge already and it was wrong when you measured it again, thats why i never trust the gauge on any of the strap cutters i have, i use a set square for all my measurements in fact my Plough Gauge does not have any measurement marking on it. Got it from someone who thought they could make one which they did works well. Also i think i know the maker of yours looking at the handle of the one you have P.M. me and i will have a guess.

Hope this helps

JCUK

To drive the matter home with the manufacturer, I had placed some wee washers to the right of the blade on the screws, which pushes the blade away from the measure and is now near spot-on.  Shouldn't need to do that, though.  Took photos and sent to the maker.  They only now understand the issue.  FFS....  They've contacted the engraver who mills the measure to correct that part.  A corrected part will be posted after QA ensures it's correct.  FFS...a tool maker should well understand the need for simple maths ensuring a measure is correct.  In the meantime,  jerry-rigging a new 400 Euro tool will simply have to do.

40 minutes ago, HondoMan said:

To drive the matter home with the manufacturer, I had placed some wee washers to the right of the blade on the screws, which pushes the blade away from the measure and is now near spot-on.  Shouldn't need to do that, though.  Took photos and sent to the maker.  They only now understand the issue.  FFS....  They've contacted the engraver who mills the measure to correct that part.  A corrected part will be posted after QA ensures it's correct.  FFS...a tool maker should well understand the need for simple maths ensuring a measure is correct.  In the meantime,  jerry-rigging a new 400 Euro tool will simply have to do.

good job friend