BenjaminKortz

"Reverse Dye" Tooling - Impressions Remain Natural Color

How does one get the effect of dyed leather, where the tooled area (the stamped impressions) remain natural leather color?

Ex:

image.png.86b8760d3cdba743110fadc4280e12e9.png

Generally you use a 'resist' on the bits you don't want dyed

Use Resolene or 'Mop & Glo' varnish. Other on here have their favourites.

Run the resist into the area, flood it mostly, using a fine paint brush, several coats are best. Then after its dry dye, but apply the dye lightly around your lighter area

@fredk's method is one way, another is block dying.  The example you show appears to be done with block dye method.  Do a search on this site for a better description of the process than I will be able to provide!

YinTx

Block dying is the correct answer, but you dont need a block. I use a piece of tshirt (I buy tshirt rags by the box/lbs) folded over a few times, and go very lightly from there.

The main trick is, you need to get most of the dye off the cotton before you touch leather. So have another piece of cloth there to blot off excess dye. Another tip is to make sure your impressions are clear and deep. Another tip on the stamping. Wet the leather and then stamp. Do not case the leather, do not wait for it to lighten in color. Stamp when it is too wet. The reason for this is to avoid the stamp burnishing the impression as best as possible. It will stay pretty much the color of the hide.

Here you can see the difference in appearance on a light brown (the burnish from the stamping is close in color), black, and a medium brown.

Hope this helps.
51692491884_087265f750_c.jpg

51691013512_aa1ff1b68a_c.jpg

51691811996_e33a43da08_h.jpg

wow very cool

On 11/19/2021 at 11:21 PM, RiverCity said:

Block dying is the correct answer, but you dont need a block. I use a piece of tshirt (I buy tshirt rags by the box/lbs) folded over a few times, and go very lightly from there.

The main trick is, you need to get most of the dye off the cotton before you touch leather. So have another piece of cloth there to blot off excess dye. Another tip is to make sure your impressions are clear and deep. Another tip on the stamping. Wet the leather and then stamp. Do not case the leather, do not wait for it to lighten in color. Stamp when it is too wet. The reason for this is to avoid the stamp burnishing the impression as best as possible. It will stay pretty much the color of the hide.

Here you can see the difference in appearance on a light brown (the burnish from the stamping is close in color), black, and a medium brown.

Hope this helps.
51692491884_087265f750_c.jpg

51691013512_aa1ff1b68a_c.jpg

51691811996_e33a43da08_h.jpg

What exactly is the hardware you've used to tack the lid to the wood block?  Those small button head nails... are they upholstery tacks?

30 minutes ago, BenjaminKortz said:

What exactly is the hardware you've used to tack the lid to the wood block?  Those small button head nails... are they upholstery tacks?

Brass escutcheon pins 3/4"

Very Kool!!!! Cue Case = On my bucket list

Definitely going to have to try some block dying