Bueno

Chaps leg wrap

Hey y'all,

I'm doing my due research before embarking on my first chaps project. The more research I do the more I realize I don't really know what's going on. I have a question about the way bell chaps wrap around the leg.

All chaps I've work and seen have wrapped around like a spiral, and the fringe if it has one has stuck off the surplus. Looking at some bells online, it seems to me they're built in a different way.

I've attached a diagram of what I mean, in cross-section of the legs. All chaps I've seen have been made as in the right. Are bells ever built like the left, or are they like normal?

Sorry for the mundane question, and thanks!

Bueno

chap legs.png

Think about sitting on a horse and, for show chaps, what to emphasize and what to distract attention (judge's) from

Here is the picture of my personal chaps and the pattern I use for me.

The table is laid out in 1 inch squares . . . so you can work out the pattern from there.

This is the right let of the chaps.

And yes . . . they wrap like the diagram on the right side of your post.  Each of the conchos has a ring behind it that the hooks snap in to . . . that's how they work.

May God bless,

Dwight

chaps on table.jpg

Edited by Dwight

What kind of chaps want you make? Batwing? Shotgun (modern or old style)?
If you want close it with a zip the assembly will rather the one of right.
If you say me a little more, maybe I can help you to make the pattern.

Thanks all for the above!

On 11/19/2021 at 7:32 AM, FrenchMich said:

What kind of chaps want you make? Batwing? Shotgun (modern or old style)?
If you want close it with a zip the assembly will rather the one of right.
If you say me a little more, maybe I can help you to make the pattern.

I'm not 100% settled yet but I'm leaning toward Arizona Bell-esce chaps, with probably a smaller-than-normal flare to them. I'm going to have them be step-in, and they'll be closed with a saddle string. I have a few sample patterns I was mostly just wondering about the wrap--because I feel live I've seen bells that wrap as in the left diagram, and I wanted to be sure before I started making my pattern. The right diagram seems to be more logical to me but you never understand a concept 'till you use it.

Edited by Bueno

The patterns you may find are all similar, but yet different in how they may feel.  What I suggest is to take an old pair of Levi's, ones that you are going to toss because of holes in the wrong places.  Put them on, and with a felt marker draw on them where you will want them to fit.  Example: how high in the front, how high around your butt; do they feel good, and is the lengths correct.  Cut off the extra material and try them on again.  This will be your basic pattern.  Now you can add material for batwings, or fringe, whatever.  I suggest this method because only after cutting the leather and making the chaps will you know if they fit you comfortably.  And, they may not, and you have wasted leather.  This process beats using paper patterns that are only a guess at fit.

Great idea!!! Would add, make marks while seated on or as would be a horse then when making a paper pattern add +/- 1/4", depending on how tight the pants fit from the knee up,  then measure hardware that will be used how it will be used to come up with final shape for leather

On 11/23/2021 at 6:47 PM, Goldshot Ron said:

The patterns you may find are all similar, but yet different in how they may feel.  What I suggest is to take an old pair of Levi's, ones that you are going to toss because of holes in the wrong places.  Put them on, and with a felt marker draw on them where you will want them to fit.  Example: how high in the front, how high around your butt; do they feel good, and is the lengths correct.  Cut off the extra material and try them on again.  This will be your basic pattern.  Now you can add material for batwings, or fringe, whatever.  I suggest this method because only after cutting the leather and making the chaps will you know if they fit you comfortably.  And, they may not, and you have wasted leather.  This process beats using paper patterns that are only a guess at fit.

Thank you so much! I haven't seen this suggested before but I'm certainly going to do this before I go and shoot some chap leather on a bad pattern.