Sign in to follow this  
Dalemilam

Moldy Veg Tanned leather

I recently acquired a nice bunch of mostly Veg Tanned leather...some of the rolls have what I assume to be mold or mildew in s few spots...is there any thing I can use to remove this without damaging the leather...I figured I would try and brush as much as I can with a brush that won't leave any marks, but after that I'm not sure what I can clean the rest of it off with...Thanks in advance...

13 hours ago, Dalemilam said:

I recently acquired a nice bunch of mostly Veg Tanned leather...some of the rolls have what I assume to be mold or mildew in s few spots...is there any thing I can use to remove this without damaging the leather...I figured I would try and brush as much as I can with a brush that won't leave any marks, but after that I'm not sure what I can clean the rest of it off with...Thanks in advance...

Bathroom tub and tile mildew cleaner in small amounts then oil it this has worked for me.

You can try oxalic acid. 2 teaspoons to a pint of water.

you may try vinegar but do a test sample i've never tried it on leather. Vinegar kills most molds and is used on dried meats, cheeses and such to kill the molds.