Sign in to follow this  
Xothique

papier-mache masks

Hello all!

I'm an artist and mask-maker from Wales, UK. I've been making papier-mache masks for the past seven years, using traditional Venetian techniques. I have wanted to try mask-making in leather for a long time, but I suffer from tendon problems in my arms, so I shied away from leatherwork for years, thinking that it might aggravate my symptoms.

Earlier this year I was given a piece of veg-tanned leather to experiment with, and wow! I totally fell for this wonderful material.

I have made a couple of masks, but am very much still a beginner; I want to learn as much as I can about the craft and try out many different techniques.

I'm so pleased to have found this friendly and helpful forum.

Helen.

lorenzo.jpg

post-5010-1191876647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Xothique

Nice work! Really beautiful.

Helen,

Glad to have you join us. Leather is such a versatile medium, enjoy.

If your'e a beginner then I must be eons away from even starting, hehehe, beautiful work .... Jordan

Welcome Helen, glad to have you here. You'll find that everyone here is most friendly and willing to help you out with any questions you have.

Very nice looking mask too. We have a few people here that make them, and your's is right up there with the best.

Ken

Hi Helen welcome to the forum, Hope to see more of your art work soon, Don

Helen, I was just looking at your website, thats some real nice work you do there.

I made a vest for a lady from Wales, can't remember what city, but I know it's there.

Ken

Hi helen beautiful stuff, nice to here from another uk'r.

Well met Pip!

Ken, thank you for visiting my site, and your kind words. I'm so pleased you like my work. It's a longshot, but if I see someone walking past in an exquisitely designed waistcoat, I'll know that your customer was from my town.

:D

Hi helen - your work is great. If you search the forums using the keyword mask you will find some realy good online lessons in leather mask making.

Ohh.. brilliant! Thanks Cecil. I shall do that this evening and happily lose myself in the forums.