yachtyman

Singer 111w tension problems

Hi there I am just getting into sewing as a hobby and would like to make some bags for my sailboat out of various heavy materials among other small projects. A friend of mine gave me what I believe is a singer 111w155 (the label has been removed). I had to do a bit of research to figure out how to retime the machine, it was 1 tooth off on the timing belt. I set needle height and all that according to the manual, and got it sewing.

The problem I am having is I can't seem to get enough top tension, no matter what I do. According what I've been reading, I have too loose top tension or too tight bottom tension. I have tried every combination from having the top tention loose to all the way tight, and same thing with the bottom tension. I tried every combination from tight to loose enough for the spring screw to fall out (luckily I found it in the carpet). I still get the same results.  The top stitch looks ok most of the time from above, bottom stitch is loose and can see the top stitch poking through to the bottom.

I am new to sewing but I have worked as a machinist for 10 yrs, so not new to precision mechanical stuff. I have checked and rechecked that I'm threading the machine correctly, and using new needles. I have gotten the machine to make a few good looking stitches, but then I change nothing and make another stitch on the same material and it's all screwed up. The material I have been sewing is some pvc coated fabric I used to make covers for my milling machine, it was all I have on hand before I order something else.

I have searched a fair amount and cant seem to find anybody else with the same issues. I am guessing I need some new parts, or I'm missing some other adjustment. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Hello I know w155 and also embroidery machines.  You have to be really good at tension adjustment.  Lock stitch machine as a rule have bobbin tension at 25 % of  top tension.  That general rule would apply to your machine as long as the top and bottom thread size are the same.

You need to do a coupla things.  One needs to know how  thread release works with  top tension   When the hand or. foot release is working it will drop tension in order to pull the material away after stitching.  This is adjustable you need to understand how it works.  While sewing the top tension needs to be consistent at all thickness. My 144w305 has no tension release.  This machine has very consistent tension.  May be they had a reason to do that? 

Now bottom tension.  The hook has a small thin tension tab,  it wears and gets dirty.  Inspect and check carefully.

Finally the big issue on old dirty vertical axis machines.  Dust, dirt; oil get under the hook obstructing the thread path. Remove the gib on top of the hook, pull the hook and clean and polish.  Don't lose those screws,  I have a old tool box full of broken hooks and  gib screws with 3 different pitches and are not interchangeable. good luck   The experts will arrive shortly.

I'm no expert but I know this much - you must have all your ducks in a row. If just one component is off it can be very frustrating. So -

Are you using the right needle system for your machine? Is the point of your needle good for the material you're sewing? Is the size of your needle correct for the thread that you're using? Sometimes the material that you're sewing can clog up the needle or the eye of the needle especially if sewing fast so the needle gets hot.

Is the thread coming off the spool in an unhindered way? Have you got it passing through enough holes before it gets to the tension discs. This can be pure trial and error. We'll assume you're threading the machine correctly. Then we come to an often overlooked item, the tension spring. If your machine is timed properly the job of the tension spring is to keep the thread reasonably taut until the needle passes through the material at which time the thread needs to relax in order to form a loop for the hook to catch on it's way round.

If all this is good and you're still having problems then come back and an expert will take it up from there. Good luck.

When I brought my 155 I found it virtually impossible to keep a constant tension on the Bobbin, I ordered a new bobbin head and the problem went away,

When i looked closely at the old head you could see the grove under the tension spring where the thread had worn it away and made the tension spring have little effect unless you used 138 thicker thread 

@yatchyman

7 hours ago, yachtyman said:

I have searched a fair amount and cant seem to find anybody else with the same issues. I am guessing I need some new parts, or I'm missing some other adjustment. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

What size thread are you using?When a machine loops underneath it has nothing to do with the bobbin tension.You need to take the nut,spring & tension discs off & inspect them for dirt or grooves.I always like to rub them on sandpaper  or even back & forth on a cement floor a few times & turn it 45* & rub them somemore , put it back together & let us know what happens.

I am using the needles and thread that came with the machine. A new pack of schmetz industrial leather needles 135x16, and the thread is white colored 138 bonded polyester. I will take off the tension discs and post some pics of what I'm working with.Thanks!

You need to look for more numbers on the needle pack or needle. 135x16 identifies the needle system. Each needle system got many sizes of needles. It is important, that you got the right needle size for your thread size. I would prefer it to be size 22/140 for this thread.

I took apart the tension discs and cleaned them with acetone, then rubbed them on a small sharpening stone. There are some small grooves that show after using the stone but I can't feel them with my fingernail. I reassembled and ran some passes on the same material and now seem to be getting some tension. Yes they are 22/140 needles.

I think, that you should be able to adjust the needle thread tension up to about 10 Newton (=36 oz) in a reliable way. I guess about 7 N is needed here. I do not know this machine in detail, but I guess the bobbin thread tension should be about 0.4 N. You may find some way to measure it or evaluate it. Perhaps this video can help: https://youtu.be/kINRgj42GnI