Piko

Saddle stitching confusion.

3 hours ago, zuludog said:

I wonder, if you don't mind, could you tell us what make they are, and why you chose them?

And I've learned something as well --- Americans really do say 'dang' .......and I thought it was just in the cowboy films!

sure! they are the fine diamond chisels from Tandy and i bought them because they were 50 % off so i picked up a couple in 3,5mm. they are much better than the off brand ones i was given. I had a set of cheapos from a leather set off amazon that i was given, they were almost square and the tines would bend, i had to straighten them after about four holes lol. So when these came  on sale i thought i better get  them.

3 hours ago, zuludog said:

And I've learned something as well --- Americans really do say 'dang' .......and I thought it was just in the cowboy films!

it comes from my folks not allowing me to cuss "damn" would have gotten me slapped upside my head or a mouthful of soap. lol  It was quite a common word for kids in my day.

Edited by chuck123wapati

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

sure! they are the fine diamond chisels from Tandy and i bought them because they were 50 % off so i picked up a couple in 3,5mm. they are much better than the off brand ones i was given. I had a set of cheapos from a leather set off amazon that i was given, they were almost square and the tines would bend, i had to straighten them after about four holes lol. So when these came  on sale i thought i better get  them.

it comes from my folks not allowing me to cuss "damn" would have gotten me slapped upside my head or a mouthful of soap. lol  It was quite a common word for kids in my day.

Chuck, I have a set of the Tandy fine diamond 3.5mm irons also and I really like them.  I haven't had any issues with them.  I didn't polish the tines, but I use a wood block to help pull them out if they get stuck, which is somewhat rare.

I posted a topic somewhere on this forum about those irons and the size down from that.

That's interesting, I also use those Tandy 3,5mm fine diamond chisels for thin leather, like making wallets. For wider stitching I use Seiwa diamond chisels and Tandy Craftool, with the black finish. I've polished the Seiwa & Tandy Craftool but not the Tandy fine diamond 

58 minutes ago, zuludog said:

That's interesting, I also use those Tandy 3,5mm fine diamond chisels for thin leather, like making wallets. For wider stitching I use Seiwa diamond chisels and Tandy Craftool, with the black finish. I've polished the Seiwa & Tandy Craftool but not the Tandy fine diamond 

I like them but the stitching is a bit close for my holsters problem is 7spi is the widest stitch they come in.  I know a lot of folk don't like Tandy stuff but these are nice a bit pricey though IMO.

55 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

I know a lot of folk don't like Tandy stuff but these are nice a bit pricey though IMO.

Tandy is TRYING to dig themselves out of a hole that is a result of years of cheap crap. Whether they succeed remains to be seen.

11 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

Tandy is TRYING to dig themselves out of a hole that is a result of years of cheap crap. Whether they succeed remains to be seen.

I agree its still buyer beware for much of their stuff. But i hope they can.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

I like them but the stitching is a bit close for my holsters problem is 7spi is the widest stitch they come in.  I know a lot of folk don't like Tandy stuff but these are nice a bit pricey though IMO.

I use --

Tandy Craftool Fine Diamond chisels - flat handle & silver finish - 3,5mm between points for fine work & thin leather like wallets

Seiwa Diamond chisels 4mm between points for general work like belts, pouches, & small knife sheaths

Tandy Craftool Pro Line chisels 4mm - round handle & black finish - for axe covers & heavier knife sheaths. Most diamond stitching chisels are measured between the points of the prongs, but  these chisels are measured between the sides, so although described as 4mm, the distance between the points is about 5,25mm

So I should imagine that if you can't find Seiwa chisels, then Tandy Craftool Pro Line 3mm would give you a distance between points of about 4mm

Edited by zuludog

4 minutes ago, zuludog said:

I use --

Tandy Craftool Fine Diamond chisels - flat handle & silver finish - 3,5mm between points for fine work & thin leather like wallets

Seiwa Diamond chisels 4mm between points for general work like belts, pouches, & small knife sheaths

Tandy Craftool Pro Line chisels 4mm - round handle & black finish - for axe covers & heavier knife sheaths. Most stitching chisels are measured between the points of the prongs, but  these chisels are measured between the sides, so although described as 4mm, the distance between the points is about 5,25mm

lol i have one of those 4mm pro lines i bought to replace one of my cheapos. turned out as you say the measurements between prongs were different the spi didn't match so i threw it in the box and forgot it until now guess i better rethink it. The cheapos are 4mm point to point the pro lines are 4mm between tines.