Warhauk

My first lined dog collar

Put a suede lining onto and it feels and (imo) looks pretty nice. One thing I am noticing is that my leather seems to get creases pretty easily (Shown in the pic with the notches). Is there something I am supposed to be doing that can reduce that, or is it just part of working with vegtan?

Purple Collar 1.jpg

Purple Collar 2.jpg

Purple Collar 3.jpg

Purple Collar 4.jpg

Purple Collar 5.jpg

pretty nice job indeed!!!  On dog collars you want to make sure your d rings are welded, at least on big dog collars lol. What finish did you use? did the creases appear before the finish or after?

First I'll say nice job.  This is just my opinion but when you back leather it creates a stiffer back which will make the front leather compress more that kind of separates the leather in the middle what I do is work the leather with a bit of oil first then back it when the leather is fully dry also stitching the backer on is a good idea .

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

did the creases appear before the finish or after?

;)

6 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

pretty nice job indeed!!!  On dog collars you want to make sure your d rings are welded, at least on big dog collars lol. What finish did you use? did the creases appear before the finish or after?

The creases appeared when I first went to thread it through the second part of the buckle, which was after I applied to finish. I used resolene for the finish.

7 minutes ago, Samalan said:

First I'll say nice job.  This is just my opinion but when you back leather it creates a stiffer back which will make the front leather compress more that kind of separates the leather in the middle what I do is work the leather with a bit of oil first then back it when the leather is fully dry also stitching the backer on is a good idea .

Do you mean toward the center of the collar the suede will separate from the veg? And I will try out applying some oil to the back on my next one.

Just now, Warhauk said:

The creases appeared when I first went to thread it through the second part of the buckle, which was after I applied to finish. I used resolene for the finish.

do your self a little test, take a piece of scrap and bend it, see what happens then put resolene on it  let it dry and bend it.

4 minutes ago, Warhauk said:

Do you mean toward the center of the collar the suede will separate from the veg? And I will try out applying some oil to the back on my next one.

the middle of the veg tan because you made the back of the leather stronger by using a backer you are compressing the front of the leather causing the leather itself to separate to a degree which can look like little fat lines.

1 minute ago, Samalan said:

the middle of the veg tan because you made the back of the leather stronger by using a backer you are compressing the front of the leather causing the leather itself to separate to a degree which can look like little fat lines.

this happens when you bend the leather backwards when you buckle take that same leather and bend it backwards as hard as you can and you will get the same effect that's without a backer .

Very pretty.  Good work.  Might consider a smooth leather liner for dog collars that is easier to clean and waterproof. Also consider stitching the buckle turn, which will be stronger and more secure than snaps or rivets.