Warhauk

Too many options for leather finish

I just learned of something called hydrophane leather dressing while watching a video on how to soften up stiff leather. While that in itself isn't a big deal, it got me thinking about the massive variety of different finishes, oils, waterproofers, conditioners, etc. While I know all of this is personal preference, I am curious as to peoples experiences with all of these different methods. I primarily have been working with natural vegtan that I then dye myself and I'm currently using aussi leather conditioner on my stuff that I don't expect to see much moisture and resolene on things like dog collars. I know that aussi conditioner technically isn't a finish but I like the look and suppleness it provides. Supposedly it does some degree of waterproofing, but I'm still not sure if I should actually be using it as a finish.

The problem is, other than resolene, it is kind of hard to figure out what treatment methods do a good job of waterproofing (and more importantly to me currently, preventing dye bleeding) but also still leave the leather supple. I don't really like the glossy, acrylic coating from resolene and the creases and occasional cracking that occurs. I would prefer to avoid it if there are good alternatives. I've seen things like sno seal and a few other methods but if anybody has actually treated their stuff with anything, then went out into the field with it, I would love to know what you've seen work, and fail with waterproofing and the ability to be easily cleaned after getting dirty.

I've seen the other option of infusing it with wax to waterproof it, but if I were to do that, am I sacrifice the softness of the leather so it is only viable for specific items, or can you have it both ways, infusing the wax and still keeping it soft and supple?

I'm sure this topic has been covered many, many times and I apologize in advance for beating a dead horse.

19 minutes ago, Warhauk said:

I just learned of something called hydrophane leather dressing while watching a video on how to soften up stiff leather. While that in itself isn't a big deal, it got me thinking about the massive variety of different finishes, oils, waterproofers, conditioners, etc. While I know all of this is personal preference, I am curious as to peoples experiences with all of these different methods. I primarily have been working with natural vegtan that I then dye myself and I'm currently using aussi leather conditioner on my stuff that I don't expect to see much moisture and resolene on things like dog collars. I know that aussi conditioner technically isn't a finish but I like the look and suppleness it provides. Supposedly it does some degree of waterproofing, but I'm still not sure if I should actually be using it as a finish.

The problem is, other than resolene, it is kind of hard to figure out what treatment methods do a good job of waterproofing (and more importantly to me currently, preventing dye bleeding) but also still leave the leather supple. I don't really like the glossy, acrylic coating from resolene and the creases and occasional cracking that occurs. I would prefer to avoid it if there are good alternatives. I've seen things like sno seal and a few other methods but if anybody has actually treated their stuff with anything, then went out into the field with it, I would love to know what you've seen work, and fail with waterproofing and the ability to be easily cleaned after getting dirty.

I've seen the other option of infusing it with wax to waterproof it, but if I were to do that, am I sacrifice the softness of the leather so it is only viable for specific items, or can you have it both ways, infusing the wax and still keeping it soft and supple?

I'm sure this topic has been covered many, many times and I apologize in advance for beating a dead horse.

i've been in the field with tons of leather products, water proofing is a misnomer of sorts. I spend hours water proofing my boots for two weeks of wilderness, hiking , hunting and such, but i also realize i have to maintain that water proofing for it to last and also cant use my boots without taking that protection into consideration. I don't just wade through any water holes i see i walk around them. Any of them will water proof your leather for a while but not for ever. Think about leather boots for a bit. Any of the water proofing s for boots will work on any of your veg tan products just the same as it will on your boots. You do know that if you walk in water all day your boots will be wet completely through. You also know if you step in one little  puddle on the way to work your waterproof boots will stay dry. At some point in between the puddle and the lake the proofing will fail right. What ever you apply to your leather will take a certain amount of abuse before it needs re applied. As for veg tan leather it softens naturally as it gets used also and as the liquors used to soften it equalize. If these liquors/fats gets washed out your leather will harden back out then fail you as the fibers will start to fray, the dry cracks in your boots, and separate! Many of the leather conditioners have waxes of various kinds  and can be used , remember the oils under the finish are what are keeping your leather soft and supple. 

I guess if you are thinking you can make a leather collar maintenance free for you customers it aint gonna happen. lol. Offer care and cleaning instructions as well as what you recommend or have used on them. I know alot of folks don't expect to have to maintain their leather but  they do have to maintain the finishes that protect the leather.

I am a big fan of Aussie conditioner.  After bad experiences with Tan Kote lifting pigment from dyed veg tan and staining my thread yellow, I've been using Aussie to finish tack and for burnishing edges before dying.  A little Aussie on canvas followed by a slicker or burnishing wheel.  I've had better luck with it than other treatments especially for some bridle leathers with coarse/fat fibers.

10 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i've been in the field with tons of leather products, water proofing is a misnomer of sorts. I spend hours water proofing my boots for two weeks of wilderness, hiking , hunting and such, but i also realize i have to maintain that water proofing for it to last and also cant use my boots without taking that protection into consideration. I don't just wade through any water holes i see i walk around them. Any of them will water proof your leather for a while but not for ever. Think about leather boots for a bit. Any of the water proofing s for boots will work on any of your veg tan products just the same as it will on your boots. You do know that if you walk in water all day your boots will be wet completely through. You also know if you step in one little  puddle on the way to work your waterproof boots will stay dry. At some point in between the puddle and the lake the proofing will fail right. What ever you apply to your leather will take a certain amount of abuse before it needs re applied. As for veg tan leather it softens naturally as it gets used also and as the liquors used to soften it equalize. If these liquors/fats gets washed out your leather will harden back out then fail you as the fibers will start to fray, the dry cracks in your boots, and separate! Many of the leather conditioners have waxes of various kinds  and can be used , remember the oils under the finish are what are keeping your leather soft and supple. 

I guess if you are thinking you can make a leather collar maintenance free for you customers it aint gonna happen. lol. Offer care and cleaning instructions as well as what you recommend or have used on them. I know alot of folks don't expect to have to maintain their leather but  they do have to maintain the finishes that protect the leather.

Very well put explanation. And you boiled it down pretty well at the end also. My goal is definitely to give my customers a product that is as well finished as it can be so, at least initially, they can worry as little about the maintenance as possible. I know that even the resolene will wear off eventually so there really is no way to make any kind of leather maintenance free. I'd just hate to send somebody a product that is already not properly treated as they are opening it.

23 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i have to maintain that water proofing for it to last

remember the oils under the finish are what are keeping your leather soft and supple. 

Offer care and cleaning instructions as well as what you recommend or have used on them

Yup, Yup, and YUP.

SO MANY people love to put that cheap (easy to apply) acrylic junk on leather.... BRAG about how "resistant" or "water proof" or "repellant" it is... and never mention (if they even realize) that it prevents the penetration of conditioners as well (which, for those who still don't get it, would be BAD).

I recommend one product over others I have tried, and I admit I have NOT tried them ALL.   That old fishin' question applies here as well -- 

• Q:  What is the best lure for walleyes in deep water?
  • A:  The ONE YOU WILL USE.

For something that’s going to be used outdoors in rain and snow, I treat with a couple of coats of good old fashioned Sno Seal. Wipe it on, and melt it in with a hair dryer. I just made a batch of rifle slings out of medium brown Hermann Oak veg tan, and soaked in Sno Seal on them. Gave them a nice rich color and the best part is that when it does get scratched up you can just wipe on more and melt it in! I’ve heard great things about Obenauf’s as well, when I run out of Sno Seal I may give it a try.

I work construction, mostly road work now, but years of home building also. Obenauf's has been my go-to for the last 15+ years. Twice a week I treat my boots and they're good for the duration. GOOD stuff!