howardb

Midwest spring show 2009

Not sure if there are any PSLG members here, but the show packet is out. I'll attach it here for your enjoyment.

Brent

PSLG_2009_show.pdf

PSLG_2009_show.pdf

Great googly moogly! Is anyone coming to the Spring show?

I will be fer sher.

Brent

That makes me think of Maggie and the Ferocious Beast (great googly moogly!)...LOL!

I'll show my hubby the info and see what's what.

ps do you need to be a member of a guild to compete?

What is the expected attendance? How many vendors will be there?

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Okay, we're now seriously planning to be there. When I found out how close it is to Chicago, that was a big draw. My son has been frantically trying to get us to take him to the Museum of Science and Industry every since he saw the dvd "The Great Train Story". Plus, it'd be his first ride on a plane to get there. How much better could it get for a 4 yr old!

Id like to know about the demos and the vendors. is that available yet? Bronc

I spoke with the show chair and he was very helpful. It is an open show - no need to be a guild member to enter.

Give him a call with all questions, I'd say: Bob Chambers at 708-895-5511

What is the expected attendance? How many vendors will be there?

:red_bandana::red_bandana::red_bandana:

Bree - Not sure. The spring shows are definitely smaller. Last year CALG was able to get Ron's Tools, the local Tandy store, and two others. They also had Tippman in for a day, which was the first time anyone had invited them! That brought Tippman to the IFOLG show last year.

We had something like 150 people attend that spring show which was a pretty good turnout. While classes aren't typical at a spring show, there are always demos going on. I haven't heard of any workshops yet, but there may be a few. The biggest things is competition. They use IFOLG rules and judging criteria, but the shows are usually open (no guild membership required). The raffle tables are usually pretty good too!

The spring shows are fun and definitely more regional. We didn't have a banquet last year, but PSLG is having one.

I know for you it's kind of a long drive, but you'd be welcome and have fun.

Brent

I am planning to go- any Awful Waffles in the neighborhood, Brent?

~J

Bree - Not sure. The spring shows are definitely smaller. Last year CALG was able to get Ron's Tools, the local Tandy store, and two others. They also had Tippman in for a day, which was the first time anyone had invited them! That brought Tippman to the IFOLG show last year.

We had something like 150 people attend that spring show which was a pretty good turnout. While classes aren't typical at a spring show, there are always demos going on. I haven't heard of any workshops yet, but there may be a few. The biggest things is competition. They use IFOLG rules and judging criteria, but the shows are usually open (no guild membership required). The raffle tables are usually pretty good too!

The spring shows are fun and definitely more regional. We didn't have a banquet last year, but PSLG is having one.

I know for you it's kind of a long drive, but you'd be welcome and have fun.

Brent

Well... I was born over your way and have many friends there as well as family. But I have to go a reunion and a wedding in Chicago later in the year as well as the IFOLG in Indianapolis so I am not sure I can justify another trip out that way... especially since it is boring riding!

:dunno::dunno::dunno:

I am planning to go- any Awful Waffles in the neighborhood, Brent?

~J

Let's see... There's a Denny's and a Blueberry Hill pancake house around the corner on 83. Several donut shops between there and Darien. About a hundred pizza places within 2 miles. Dozens of fast food joints within a mile. And that's just what is shown on Mapquest. Probably double that number of places in reality.

Looks like the closest Waffle house is in Naperville.

There is a Hooters a little closer in Oak Lawn... :whistle:

We'll just have to scout the area once we converge. Anyone willing to do advance recon? ..... :red_bandana:

Brent

Well, it's official: I have room reservations. I hope to see many of you there.

BTW, I did have some difficulties with making the reservations. The man I spoke with was SUPER friendly, but kept insisting they were all booked up. I found that hard to believe, figuring the guild had a block set aside, and I would've been stunned if THOSE were all booked (I've never been to a show that was); and sure enough he found that block and got us a room.

So if you call, be sure to be patient and remind them about the rooms set aside for the show specifically.

I sooo wish I could go this year too but,

we're going to Sweden in March/April and I don't even know if we're here then.

I have to say though, I had a wonderful time last year, meeting Brent, Johanna and the rest of the leather people:-)

WORKSHOPS_PSLG_09.pdf

UPDATE:

Workshops are on. I've attached a document. It's also up at the CIL website, and I would assume PSLG's.

Brent

WORKSHOPS_PSLG_09.pdf

Okay- We've got room reservations...we're going!

Try to conceal your laughter at my crappy JC Penney purse, please?

Johanna

Okay- We've got room reservations...we're going!

Try to conceal your laughter at my crappy JC Penney purse, please?

Johanna

OOOOOOoooooooooooooooo........I felt that!

just got my room.

:deadsubject:

I fly in Fri. a.m. and back Tues., so we'll have a little extra time to visit the sites. Bringing my husband and son along.

I spoke with Linda Zavala and Bob Chambers, the show co-chairs today. Linda said they can accept entries up to the last minute (you DON'T have to belong to a guild to enter!) She absolutely needs to have banquet reservations by Thursday- call her immediately if you want to attend the banquet! Vendors planning to attend are Tandy Leather Factory, Hidecrafters, (Jim and George are teaching workshops) Artisan Sewing Machines, Neil Cowan "Sharp Shop" (bring the tools you always wanted sharpened but didn't have time or know how to do!) and some others that I can't recall off the top of my head. The workshops are pretty good, and not expensive- c'mon- many of you don't live too far away from the hotel- you're gonna have fun if you plan to go!

Johanna

:thumbsup::cheers:

I finished my second competition piece today, and am really looking forward to coming.

I'm coming Saturday for a couple hours. Hoping to meet some of you there!

whis I could go -- we have a fiber arts demo going on that same weekend and I think that they will "miss" the "person in charge" if I don't show up......

Maybe I can scrounge pennies and get to the show in Indy......

Following is a note from someone connected with the PSLG spring show this weekend.

Hi, would you please pass this on to those attending the show.

Please note:

Silva Fox will be attending the show this weekend- she will not be doing a demo but will be doing critiques for those that would like. Please bring whatever you would like her to critique.

Attached is a price list (in excel) for Cowan's Sharp Shop- if you would like your tools sharpened bring them. He'll be sharpening on the premises, no shipping them back and forth.

As some of you will be coming through on 80/94, please beaware that there is construction work already going on this route.

Brent

Pricelist712007.xls.txt Remove the .txt after saving it...

Pricelist712007.xls.txt

:sign23:

I'm not promising anything spectacular, but I've got a little Sony Handycam and I intend to upload some video from the show... I'll take regular pics like always of the displays and competition pieces. Maybe Jim or George or Allan or someone will let me film all or part of a workshop? Maybe Jerry from Artisan can demonstrate a Toro for you sewing machine junkies?

I am just upset. Nylon camera bag (made in China). Nylon laptop case (Made in Thaiwan). Penneys purse made out of plastic....aaarrrggghhh I mean, here I am, knowing the bestest leatherworkers in the world, and this is embarassing! Now, no more suggestions that I get my butt into the shop and make something- ain't gonna happen. You guys are gonna have to trust my credit and set up payment plans for me so I can go around leather land not looking like a tourist. I know what I want- I just can't afford you. *sigh...

Johanna

Following is a note from someone connected with the PSLG spring show this weekend.

Hi, would you please pass this on to those attending the show.

Please note:

Silva Fox will be attending the show this weekend- she will not be doing a demo but will be doing critiques for those that would like. Please bring whatever you would like her to critique.

Attached is a price list (in excel) for Cowan's Sharp Shop- if you would like your tools sharpened bring them. He'll be sharpening on the premises, no shipping them back and forth.

As some of you will be coming through on 80/94, please beaware that there is construction work already going on this route.

Brent

Pricelist712007.xls.txt Remove the .txt after saving it...

Can't seem to read the attachment.