DaveP

How to stitch a triangle?

I tried something different on belt loop on knife sheath.  It looks okay but not good.  I use pricking irons for my saddle stitching. How do you stitch a triangle?

Thanks again 

20220110_190603.jpg

I believe that the answer is to use round holes at the points of the triangle. Use the slanted holes up to, but not including, those points. 

10 minutes ago, DJole said:

I believe that the answer is to use round holes at the points of the triangle. Use the slanted holes up to, but not including, those points. 

I second this answer. The round hole for the corners keeps them straight. If you want perfect triangle then i would just use round holes for the hole thing. Which would make for a straight stitch instead of the offset diamond chisel stitch.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:58 PM, HandyDave said:

i would just use round holes for the hole thing. Which would make for a straight stitch instead of the offset diamond chisel stitch.

Totally agree

Yes, as the previous replies

Where there is a sharp change of angle in the line of stitching, such as the sides of a wallet, use a stitching chisel for most of the holes right up to the last hole in the corner, but for that make a round hole. You can do this with a round/scratch awl or make up some kind of spike like a long nail. I use an old dart head & mallet if the leather is too thick to use a round awl by hand

But another way round this is not to use a triangular end, instead make it rounded or semi - circular so that results in a horse shoe shaped line of stitching; just go along the edge of the strap with a 2 prong chisel.

I was always taught that you shouldn't have a line of stitching straight across a leather strap as it perforates and weakens it, like the perforations in blocks of postage stamps. so just do the stitching around the edge of the leather but not across it; and as mentioned, this results in a horse shoe or U shaped like of stitching.