CrankAddict

John James blunts are still kind of sharp?

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to all of this and just received a pack of John James 004 blunt needles (L3912).  I was quite surprised to see that they are actually ground to a point and feel pretty sharp to the touch.  My only other reference is I have a couple of similar size needles from SLC that feel more rounded to the touch.  The JJ needles seem like they are definitely sharp enough to snag the thread on a saddle stitch, even if they can't quite by used to pierce leather.  Is this normal?  Would there be any benefit to doing a few strokes of the tip on some fine sandpaper to make them less sharp?

Thanks!

Yes it is normal.  I think even a blunter needle would pierce the thread on a saddle stitch.  You just need to not snag the thread.  One needs to pull the first thread in the hole away from the second needle to avoid piecing it.  One can also pull the first thread out some as the second needle is entering.  If it is pierced, it will come unpierced.  If you do a lot of piercing it is due to technique or the wrong size thread and/or hole.

Yep, normal.  Draws blood every time.  I will say normal stitching needles will poke you just looking at them, these at least take a slight effort.  I suppose you could blunt them more if you desired, that would just make it a bit more difficult to lock the needle into the thread when you are first threading the needle.  Otherwise, do what works best for you.  Most of us modify some bit of our tools at some point in the game to get them to do what we need them to.

YinTx

49 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Yep, normal.  Draws blood every time.  I will say normal stitching needles will poke you just looking at them, these at least take a slight effort.  I suppose you could blunt them more if you desired, that would just make it a bit more difficult to lock the needle into the thread when you are first threading the needle.  Otherwise, do what works best for you.  Most of us modify some bit of our tools at some point in the game to get them to do what we need them to.

YinTx

True that! I've poked myself many times. That's a good time to break for coffee or beer. Wouldn't want to get blood on the project! :P

7 hours ago, mike02130 said:

Yes it is normal.  I think even a blunter needle would pierce the thread on a saddle stitch.  You just need to not snag the thread.  One needs to pull the first thread in the hole away from the second needle to avoid piecing it.  One can also pull the first thread out some as the second needle is entering.  If it is pierced, it will come unpierced.  If you do a lot of piercing it is due to technique or the wrong size thread and/or hole.

Some really good suggestions here.  After I finally understood what is supposed to be happening with the threads it made a world of difference.  Before, I used to have a nice line of stitching and then one dropped stitch or "klunker" I call it, where it does the opposite of what it is supposed to do.  I began pulling the first thread down and towards me, freeing up the upper portion of the hole.  After that, no more issues, none.   So I recommend people take a good hard look at the way the threads behave as they pass through the leather.  It matters.