hickok55

saddler awl

i have a GEORGE BARNSLEY & SONS saddlers awl when i go through the leather and trie to pull it out it comes out of the awl handle.

Edited by hickok55

Where the Awl blade has come out of the haft take used match stick sand the used end down to a bit of a point tap it into the hole where the blade has come out of the haft as far as it can which will probably mean it will break trim level to haft then using to coins to protect your awl blade put the blade into a vice straight up then tap the haft gently and straight as you can and as far down onto the blade as you dare or as far as you think it will hold.  

Hope this helps

JCUK. 

Just a comment on JCUK's reply - check that the coins are of soft metal. Modern  British 'copper' coins are in fact copper coated steel, so you need to trap the awl blade between soft metal like copper or aluminium, or put a couple of thicknesses of tape on the vice jaws

Also, most awl blades are sold with just a basic finish, you probably need to sharpen & polish the blade, there are several videos about this on YouTube. This will make it easier to push the awl through the leather and there will be less drag or grip on the blade when you pull it out

It is only when you buy the very expensive custom made awls, say £70 to £100 each that you can use them straight out of the box 

Edited by zuludog

11 minutes ago, Northmount said:

If you never want to remove the awl blade from the handle, add some epoxy before pushing the blade back in.

Yes, I reckon that knocking an awl blade into a haft is a right fiddly job, and the last time I just couldn't get the thing straight so I drilled it and fitted it with epoxy glue

I have 4 or 5 awls, they will keep me going for a while, but if I ever need another one I'll get one with a chuck, like an Osborne Palm Awl Haft 142 and a Saddler's Harness Awl blade #42 or 43 

Or I might even treat myself to something exotic & expensive 

8 hours ago, Northmount said:

If you never want to remove the awl blade from the handle, add some epoxy before pushing the blade back in.

Not 100% true. With heat you can 'relax' epoxy and remove/replace the awl blade. But yeah, epoxy will tighten you right up.