Okay, leather is all carved, tooled and now the finish.  I don't want a lot of contrast, just a little darker in the background areas.  I tried using a camel hair brush but was dripping in areas not to be dyed (fortunately practice pieces). I am told I need to use a resist. Now I am a beginner so let me state what I think you do and then correct me.  I apply a resist to the entire area and this slows the absorbing of the dye. Now liberally apply the dye but quickly wipe the leather, removing dye from the outermost areas but leaving it in the lower, background areas where it eventually dries. Then when dry- seal everything.

Please let tell if this correct and what kind of a resist to use. Thanks very much. 

For the resist I use Feibing's 'Pro Resist'. But the process you describe sounds like antiquing, not dying. To prevent the drips where not wanted, always touch your brush to a piece of scrap leather to 'draw off' the excess. I like to use the flesh side, it's more sponge like.

not correct, you use the resist on the areas you don't want dyed, or have already dyed and don't want to damage with another color of dye.. Once you put on the resist it will resist the dye..  As said above you wipe your brush on the edge of the dye bottle ,paper towel or a scrap piece of leather. Try not dip your brush up to the ferrule if possible the hairs will pull up the dye.

For example if you have a flower tooled then you would dye your flower whatever color  like red. Then so that you wont get the background color on it you will apply the resist on the flower. Then you can dye your background without danger of ruining the flower. Then if you want to antique your project you would resist the whole piece then apply the antique as directed and as you said above.

you can use any of the resists that are for sale or you can make your own with the liquid acrylic floor wax ( I use Future) and water half and half

Edited by chuck123wapati

16 minutes ago, Davm said:

Thanks, I am going to practice on scrap leather and then ask more q's if I have them. Appreciate the help.

good luck friend remember resist isn't an absolute solve to the problem you still have to be careful with your dyes. 

Thanks- appreciate the help. I am really loving leather work.  It is purely a hobby which has it's pluses and minuses. As a hobby you don't want to do the same thing over and over- no point. On the other hand you can go slow and take your time.  My biggest worry as a hobby is running out of things to make. Holsters, belts, sheaths for knives, wallets, rifle scabbard, etc. Spur straps.

20 minutes ago, Davm said:

Thanks- appreciate the help. I am really loving leather work.  It is purely a hobby which has it's pluses and minuses. As a hobby you don't want to do the same thing over and over- no point. On the other hand you can go slow and take your time.  My biggest worry as a hobby is running out of things to make. Holsters, belts, sheaths for knives, wallets, rifle scabbard, etc. Spur straps.

LOL don't worry about running out of things to make, my son wore one knife sheath to another elk camp last year and i have been busy ever since.