Sign in to follow this  
Falkalem

Sewing with Sailrite LSZ-1

Hi all! I’ve been hand stitching for a while and just bought a Sailrite LSZ-1 with the Worker B and Monster wheel. I haven’t put on the monster wheel yet, but that’s not quite my question. When sewing leather on a sewing machine, do I backstitch to lock the thread at the beginning and end of the line like I would doing any other kind of sewing with regular fabrics? The thread I’m using is obviously not waxed like hand stitching thread, so I can’t melt it in place. 

Any other tips for sewing with a (Sailrite) machine are appreciated!

3 hours ago, Falkalem said:

When sewing leather on a sewing machine, do I backstitch to lock the thread at the beginning and end of the line like I would doing any other kind of sewing with regular fabrics?

Yes

3 hours ago, Falkalem said:

The thread I’m using is obviously not waxed like hand stitching thread, so I can’t melt it in place. 

More then likely you are using bonded nylon or bonded polyester thread and the ends can easily be melt to prevent fraying. 

The max rated thread for the Sailrite is V92.

kgg

7 hours ago, kgg said:

More then likely you are using bonded nylon or bonded polyester thread and the ends can easily be melt to prevent fraying. 

Thanks! I wasn’t even thinking about being able to melt nylon or poly, hah! Was focused on the wax element. Duh. Thanks!

11 hours ago, Falkalem said:

Hi all! I’ve been hand stitching for a while and just bought a Sailrite LSZ-1 with the Worker B and Monster wheel. I haven’t put on the monster wheel yet, but that’s not quite my question. When sewing leather on a sewing machine, do I backstitch to lock the thread at the beginning and end of the line like I would doing any other kind of sewing with regular fabrics? The thread I’m using is obviously not waxed like hand stitching thread, so I can’t melt it in place. 

Any other tips for sewing with a (Sailrite) machine are appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

I too have a Sailrite LSZ-1 Premium with WorkerB motor.  I love it.  If you're doing leather, I strongly suggest you buy the optional "knurled" presser foot and feed dog set.  It may still leave marks on some leather but it's a lot smoother than the standard foot and dog set.  I also added the folding table that Sailrite offers and I'm really happy with that too.  It gives me a much larger work surface but most importantly with the machine recessed into the table it's much easier to feed larger fabric assemblies without having to deal with the "hump" of the machine being above the table.

Their website does say the thread range is from home thread to v92 size, but I was assured by Matt Grant before I purchased that it can handle v138 just fine.  All it takes is a little bit of tension readjusting and of course the appropriate needle.  I haven't tried that myself (using v92 exclusively on that machine) but I have no doubt that it would work.  And Matt said that it would work for the top thread as well as bobbin thread.

I would suggest you install the monster wheel and try how you like it.  It gives the machine more power (momentum) to punch through thicker assemblies and also lowers the low speed stitching which gives you more control for intricate work.

My only nitt with the machine is the small domestic-size bobbin.  I wish that was as large as on my industrial machines.

For melting threads I use a Beadsmith Thread Zap II instead of a lighter because it helps me avoid burning the fabric/leather.

Cheers!