MtlBiker

Flat/Bevel Presser foot for bell skiver?

How useful is a flat or bevel presser foot for a bell skiver?  I just got my new Consew DCS-S4 bell skiver and I understand there is a flat presser foot available.  My dealer didn't know about it and said that in the last 20 years of selling those machines nobody has asked for such a foot.  And he didn't have a part number either (and I didn't see it on the Consew site... only that it was available by special order).

So my question (as a newbie) is how useful such a foot actually is.  In what cases would you use one?  My main use will be to skive leather for purses and bags... would I use it for those?

The machine seems nice and I like that there is a "chute" for the debris to fall though, not just a hole in the table.  I think it'll be pretty easy to hook up a shopvac to it, but I'll try first with a trash bin under the chute to see how much debris there actually is.

Have you got any pictures of these feet? Most skivers come with what they call a flat presser foot I thought. I only ever use a roller foot myself. Made the first one myself because I had not heard of any at the time (20 or maybe 30 years ago). They never jam or stall like the standard ones do.

18 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

How useful is a flat or bevel presser foot for a bell skiver?

This video may help. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-W3hT6x4Q )

kgg

8 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

Have you got any pictures of these feet? Most skivers come with what they call a flat presser foot I thought. I only ever use a roller foot myself. Made the first one myself because I had not heard of any at the time (20 or maybe 30 years ago). They never jam or stall like the standard ones do.

Sorry, I don't have any photos, but this skiver (and the others I have seen on websites) came with two sizes of curved presser feet.  If I understand correctly, they give a skive of the same amount from edge for the extent of the skive.  Websites, including Consew, say:

• Also suitable for bevel skiving with use of special presser foot - available on special order.

With my inexperience I'm not really sure what that means, or if it would even be useful to me.  And the dealer said that in 20 years of selling these machines nobody has ever asked for that special presser foot.

I'm guessing that I don't need it.

1 hour ago, kgg said:

This video may help. ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6-W3hT6x4Q )

kgg

Thanks for the link.  Too bad they don't show photos of the actual presser feet in the video, other than already installed on the machine and running.  It looks like a roller foot would be the most useful for me.

7 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

Thanks for the link.  Too bad they don't show photos of the actual presser feet in the video, other than already installed on the machine and running.  It looks like a roller foot would be the most useful for me.

I very much doubt that anyone could show me how to do the skiving I show in this video without a roller foot installed. I have made a couple of different roller shapes but for 99% of the jobs the one shown here does the job.