Thescandall

Edge beveler

Ok I’ve watched a few videos on how to sharpen them but mine are not flat on the bottom.  They are grooved on top and bottom so I can’t just rub it on the leather strop. All the vids I have seen they just rub it backwards and then debur it on a piece of leather edge. 

I want a set I can sharpen without a lot of trouble getting in the groove. 
Point me in the right direction. 

Not exactly what you asked for.  Here is what you sharpen the ones you have with.

https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-2939/weaver-strop-board-kit/pr_51012

The ones you have make a "rounded" corner.  The flat bottomed ones will make a "beveled" corner.  I prefer rounded.  Most places that have tools have flat bottomed bevelers, Tandy, SLC, Weaver, etc.

JM2C

As you've probably seen on videos, you can sharpen flat bottomed bevellers on an ordinary strop, similar to sharpening your knives. but for a beveller that is grooved along the bottom you must find a way of making a very narrow raised piece of fine abrasive paper, and a very narrow raised strop, that fit inside the groove. So --

Place something like a bamboo skewer or a length of wire, or a metal rod  or a length of firm stiff cord on a flat surface; lay your abrasive paper on it & hold it down at one end, and pull the beveller along it. It's easier if you glue the rods to a board.

For the strop, bevel both sides of a suitable thickness of veg tan leather - say 2 to 3mm. Then cut it off so you have a strip about 150 mm long and about 5mm wide, but it doesn't have to be precise. Glue the strip on a board by the flat cut edge so the bevelled edge is raised up. Let it dry, then apply stropping compound and away you go!. Within reason the leather is soft enough to conform and adapt to the groove

Here are a couple of relevant videos, but the more you watch videos on 'how to sharpen an edge beveller', the better idea you will get 

Leather Edge Beveler Sharpening Solutions - Leather Tool Stropping - YouTube

This one takes a couple of minutes to get organised, but once he's started, it's good   how to sharpen an edge beveller - YouTube

Remember that you should also lightly strop the back of the tiny blade, either by a suitable leather strop as described, or pulling through a length of cord loaded with compound.

You can use your full size strop for flat bottomed  bevellers, but I have found it's more convenient to make a stropping board with raised rods, very narrow strops, and a small flat strop, similar to that used in the second video

If you want to try a flat bottomed beveller, these are cheap, easy to sharpen, and easy to use. A size 2 or 3 will do for average thicknesses of leather.

Craftool® Edge Bevelers — Tandy Leather International (tandyleatherfactory.uk)

Edited by zuludog

The old fashioned way to sharpen tools with a groove cutting edge was to rub jeweller's rouge well into a length of string. Tie one end of the string to something solid, pull the string tight and run the cutting groove back & forth along the string

35 minutes ago, fredk said:

The old fashioned way to sharpen tools with a groove cutting edge was to rub jeweller's rouge well into a length of string. Tie one end of the string to something solid, pull the string tight and run the cutting groove back & forth along the string

i like that fred..

40 minutes ago, zuludog said:

As you've probably seen on videos, you can sharpen flat bottomed bevellers on an ordinary strop, similar to sharpening your knives. but for a beveller that is grooved along the bottom you must find a way of making a very narrow raised piece of fine abrasive paper, and a very narrow raised strop, that fit inside the groove. So --

Place something like a bamboo skewer or a length of wire, or a metal rod  or a length of firm stiff cord on a flat surface; lay your abrasive paper on it & hold it down at one end, and pull the beveller along it. It's easier if you glue the rods to a board.

For the strop, bevel both sides of a suitable thickness of veg tan leather - say 2 to 3mm. Then cut it off so you have a strip about 150 mm long and about 5mm wide, but it doesn't have to be precise. Glue the strip on a board by the flat cut edge so the bevelled edge is raised up. Let it dry, then apply stropping compound and away you go!. Within reason the leather is soft enough to conform and adapt to the groove

Here are a couple of relevant videos, but the more you watch videos on 'how to sharpen an edge beveller', the better idea you will get 

Leather Edge Beveler Sharpening Solutions - Leather Tool Stropping - YouTube

This one takes a couple of minutes to get organised, but once he's started, it's good

how to sharpen an edge beveller - YouTube

Remember that you should also lightly strop the back of the tiny blade, either by a suitable leather strop as described, or pulling through a length of cord loaded with compound.

You can use your full size strop for flat bottomed  bevellers, but I have found it's more convenient to make a stropping board with raised rods, very narrow strops, and a small flat strop, similar to that used in the second video

If you want to try a flat bottomed beveller, these are cheap, easy to sharpen, and easy to use. A size 2 or 3 will do for average thicknesses of leather.

Craftool® Edge Bevelers — Tandy Leather International (tandyleatherfactory.uk)

i think i over complicate things at times..

Fred, im doing a face palm right now because that was just easy  ..

This is what i use for my hollow edge shaves and only use the compound that came with it. after that i fold a piece of soft hide flesh side up on the edge of my bench or cutting board and give it a quick polish, for the top i also run it through a piece of heavy waxed thread but not every time i use them. Every time i use a cutting tool i give them a quick strop before and after use just a few seconds i find i don't have to sharpen my cutting tools to often i have Round that i have owned for six + years never sharpened it once in that time just a strop before and after, and yes it will depend on the quality of the steel on your tools.

Hope this helps

JCUK