Hairic

Advice on sewing machine and accessories please !

Hello, I am looking to get my first machine, I have use a few in the past, My brother is an upholsterer and I have used his in the past so I understand how it works and all that, However I am not experienced enough to know exactly what I will need, I have about 5k budget for a machine and a few other items I would like to get to make my leather shop more productive and just a better place to work, Right now I work off about a 4 foot by 2 foot counter, not very great let me tell you, I plan to build a 4x8 work bench with a full cutting mat and drawers and things under it, (I currently build cabinets and furniture).  Anyways the machine that I am looking at currently is https://www.techsew.com/us/techsew-5100-se-heavy-leather-stitcher-special-edition.html.  If you don't want to click the link its a techsew 5100.  Talking with my brother about machines he suggest that techsew is a good brand, However he does not do much leather if at all.  With that said I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on why that would or would not be a good machine, Im sure its overkill for me just starting out but I'm a believer in buy once cry once, or more your only as good as your tools.  I do not want to be held back by anything the machine cant do kind of thing.  I also would like to know more about any special accessories that you would suggest, Like pressor feet, lights, rollers, anything like that, Also threads and needles, As I have always hand stitched my leather I pretty much have no idea what thread I would want As I purchased spools of waxed thread years ago and have just used that and don't have the first clue as to the size it is. As for what I plan to make that remains to be seen, I want to be able to make anything as my skills progress. I will say to start the projects I have in mind besides the normal wallets would be gun belts/holsters, bags/satchels/, Belts, straps for guns and guitars and some horse tack. Eventually want to make boots and some day want to make a pair of dress shoes, I understand that takes allot of other tools to do so that's why I say some day.  Any way sorry for the wall of text I am looking to purchase in the next few days, Any ways cheers!

I went the COBRA Class 26 direction which I thought was the most rounded machine as I do wallets and bags..

2 hours ago, ToddW said:

I went the COBRA Class 26 direction which I thought was the most rounded machine as I do wallets and bags..

For sure nice machine, I like the extra depth of the arm on the 5100, as its 16.5, again don't know if ill ever need that space but who knows lol. Thanks for the reply!

I'm pretty sure I have the cowboy version of this machine (CB4500) and I love it, I have done anything from upholstery to sandals on it.  I think with your budget you are in the enviable position to actually get a flatbed as well, which would be ideal.  This machine with a narrow plate (which is really the main accessory I would recommend) will do lightweight stuff but it's really not designed to make it easy for you.

4 minutes ago, Spyros said:

I'm pretty sure I have the cowboy version of this machine (CB4500) and I love it, I have done anything from upholstery to sandals on it.  I think with your budget you are in the enviable position to actually get a flatbed as well, which would be ideal.  This machine with a narrow plate (which is really the main accessory I would recommend) will do lightweight stuff but it's really not designed to make it easy for you.

I agree with your statement about the narrow plate, and that is something that I have had ben debating for some time, is do I get a flatbed machine or the cylinder arm, I just feel as I have watched and read that the cylinder arm is more capable of the items I wish to do, again no experience with that, I was really looking ant the flat bed attachment and really it does n not seem to be the best thing in the world as you still have a good amount of gap to contend with, vs a true flatbed machine.  I also don't really have the room for two machines right now, As I'm kind of turning a single car garage into my leather shop. With a 4x8 bench and the sewing machine and other tools and leather rack I don't want it to get to cramped, lol as is inevitable. And I have seen the cowboy one that looks identical to this one.  I was actually going to have my wife pick one up today, the cowboy however the Tandy she was by just sold the last one they had, Sooo, prob going to have to order something.

1 minute ago, Hairic said:

I agree with your statement about the narrow plate, and that is something that I have had ben debating for some time, is do I get a flatbed machine or the cylinder arm, I just feel as I have watched and read that the cylinder arm is more capable of the items I wish to do, again no experience with that, I was really looking ant the flat bed attachment and really it does n not seem to be the best thing in the world as you still have a good amount of gap to contend with, vs a true flatbed machine.  I also don't really have the room for two machines right now, As I'm kind of turning a single car garage into my leather shop. With a 4x8 bench and the sewing machine and other tools and leather rack I don't want it to get to cramped, lol as is inevitable. And I have seen the cowboy one that looks identical to this one.  I was actually going to have my wife pick one up today, the cowboy however the Tandy she was by just sold the last one they had, Sooo, prob going to have to order something.

Ah ok, you're like me, I also have room for only one :)

But you are a cabinet maker, therefore you can make a flatbed attachment table, because the one that comes with the machine (if it even comes with one) is usually too small or too hard to attach and remove.  I'm also a woodworker as a side hobby and considering making one, so maybe we can compare notes.  

As for other accessories, first you need to find out exactly what comes with the machine, which depends on the dealer

You'll need a light, a guide, different feet, a softer spring for the presser foot etc

I think you are on the right track. For gun holsters and a lot of other stuff you mention you will want a cylinder machine and a big one at that. A cylinder machine can be a flat bed but a flatbed machine can not be a cylinder. Personally I am used to using a cylinder machine and almost never have a seen any worthwhile reason to put on a flat bed attachment. Even a belt I prefer to stitch on the round caus that's the way it get worn anyway. Only thing I can think to mention is that  on any of these 441 type machines the smallest leather point needle they make is a 23 and that means the best smallest thread is a 138 or m20 in metric.

Just now, Spyros said:

Ah ok, you're like me, I also have room for only one :)

But you are a cabinet maker, therefore you can make a flatbed attachment table, because the one that comes with the machine (if it even comes with one) is usually too small or too hard to attach and remove.  I'm also a woodworker as a side hobby and considering making one, so maybe we can compare notes.  

As for other accessories, first you need to find out exactly what comes with the machine, which depends on the dealer

You'll need a light, a guide, different feet, a softer spring for the presser foot etc

Lol that my exact state of mind is Im sure I can make something better for a flat bed attachment, then again I always feel like I can make things and just deal with what I got lol.  This particular machine comes with  Complete table with casters, SmartServo-NP motor, speed reducer,TS-28 LED lamp, TLG laser guide, swing down roller guide, flatbed table attachment, 3 pkgs of Organ diamond point needles,10 bobbins, thread lube pot, left toe foot, double toe foot, center foot, 1 lb. of thread, oiler, instruction manual, and repair tools.

That was copied btw lol, to lazy to type it all

1 minute ago, RockyAussie said:

I think you are on the right track. For gun holsters and a lot of other stuff you mention you will want a cylinder machine and a big one at that. A cylinder machine can be a flat bed but a flatbed machine can not be a cylinder. Personally I am used to using a cylinder machine and almost never have a seen any worthwhile reason to put on a flat bed attachment. Even a belt I prefer to stitch on the round caus that's the way it get worn anyway. Only thing I can think to mention is that  on any of these 441 type machines the smallest leather point needle they make is a 23 and that means the best smallest thread is a 138 or m20 in metric.

Ok, as far as the thread I don't want skinny thread, so not being able to use it isn't really an issue with me If I'm understanding you correctly.  I do have a plan to do some lined bags eventually and may need thinner thread at that time, but its not on the top of my list right now.

4 minutes ago, Hairic said:

Lol that my exact state of mind is Im sure I can make something better for a flat bed attachment, then again I always feel like I can make things and just deal with what I got lol.  This particular machine comes with  Complete table with casters, SmartServo-NP motor, speed reducer,TS-28 LED lamp, TLG laser guide, swing down roller guide, flatbed table attachment, 3 pkgs of Organ diamond point needles,10 bobbins, thread lube pot, left toe foot, double toe foot, center foot, 1 lb. of thread, oiler, instruction manual, and repair tools.

Just one more thought ...make sure that table is the pedestal type and not one that is closed off on the end. They use less room and can be tucked away better but mostly they don't stop you because the table gets in the way. A quick check on my you tube channel will show you why.

Edited by RockyAussie

Just now, RockyAussie said:

Just one more thought ...make sure that table is the pedestal type and not one that is closed off on the end. They use less room and can be tucked away better but mostly they don't stop you because the table gets in the way.

Yes sir, I actually didn't realize they made tables that had more table to the left, until just a little bit ago reading some threads someone posted I seen one, and yes takes up allot of room, so yes sir it is pedestal style.

Yes sir, I actually didn't realize they made tables that had more table to the left, until just a little bit ago reading some threads someone posted I seen one, and yes takes up allot of room, so yes sir it is pedestal style.

:thumbsup:

12 minutes ago, Hairic said:

That looks like a good list.  You will also (maybe) need a softer spring for the presser foot, the one that came with my machine was making the foot leave marks on the leather too easily.

Also start ordering thread & needles in various sizes, your machine will probably come with one of each, and it will likely be the wrong one.  And a light, maybe magnetic.

2 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Also start ordering thread & needles in various sizes, your machine will probably come with one of each, and it will likely be the wrong one.  And a light, maybe magnetic.

Will do! Just wishing I had a machine currently as I started a test holster today out of water some water buffalo and holy crap I cant get through it to stitch it lol

Will do! Just wishing I had a machine currently as I started a test holster today out of water some water buffalo and holy crap I cant get through it to stitch it lol

Yeah that monster you're about to buy will go through anything like butter :)