327fed

Embossing straight lines on straps

What hand tool will: make border straight lines on straps? I have a roller to mark lines for stitching which marks thread spacing.. I need a plain groove. Thanks. 

I have a similar kit, but it lacks the spoon. Only has a chisel blade and groomers with stitch cogs. I could rig one of these. Thanks.

Nothing wrong with this type either.  I have one and like it.

011-807400.SLC.jpg?resizeid=19&resizeh=600&resizew=600

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

Nothing wrong with this type either.  I have one and like it.

011-807400.SLC.jpg?resizeid=19&resizeh=600&resizew=600

I have one like this . . . and one like the other.  The other is only for special projects . . . very seldom used.

This one had the extra part of the blade ground off on the non cutting side . . . and the screw set tight as I could get it.

It is my groover fro all my holsters, sheaths, belts . . . makes em all perfectly consistent.

And it is so easy to use . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks. Do you use a chisel-type tip or the paddle type tip? I thought there might be some roller. 

34 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Thanks. Do you use a chisel-type tip or the paddle type tip? I thought there might be some roller. 

No roller, you simply drag it along the edge of the leather.  The edge should be straight for best results obviously.  It will follow the contours of the edge.  You can drag it along a straight edge,  and in fact they make a stylus style groover for that.  The "L" shaped piece you see on the tools has a hole with sharp edges and it is that part that cuts the groove.

011-8808101.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

011-8807411.SLC.jpg?resizeid=19&resizeh=600&resizew=600

Here is the one I have. Tandy I  think. It has a chisel type tip, a ball point pen looking tip, and 2 not very effective edger tips. I have been using the angle piece as the edge guide and the chisel tip for grooving but they are too thin. I just tried the ball end on the leather shown, multiple times, to get that groove. My L shaped piece is square and too dull as it is to groove. Which are you saying to use? 

4680E080-63A1-48F8-B5AA-F656A93A98C4.jpeg

There should be a black or grayish straight piece which goes into the collet.  It should have a hole like the one I showed the close-up of.  Maybe yours is missing?  The L-shaped piece on your groover is the guide.  And it adjusts to change the spacing of the groove from the edge.  You need the part that cuts now.

011-8808101.SLC.jpg?resizeid=22&resizeh=1200&resizew=1200

Edited by Tugadude

No sir. Just the pieces shown. The Tandy product now shows a ground L shaped guide to use for grooving and nothing in the center. I will look for an upgrade for my tools. Thanks. 

8 hours ago, 327fed said:

What hand tool will: make border straight lines on straps? I have a roller to mark lines for stitching which marks thread spacing.. I need a plain groove. Thanks. 

Don't know rightly if you would call this a hand tool but I find it good to mark lines around the border of belts and other products like my wallets and such. It works by allowing you to push down a lever at the back which opens it up to put in the piece to be line marked. The big knob at the top of it allows adjustment of the spring pressure you want to apply to the roller to press down with into the leather. Once you have the leather in place you just turn the handle and roll the job through. The blue masking tape I have put on to stop any knurl marks showing up on the job. There are 3 different fence guides that can be used which can be revolved up to allow for curve type jobs or straight long jobs etc.

DSC02957_resize.JPG

DSC02966_resize.JPG

DSC02956_resize.JPG

When you fold the edges over on a wallet you can get some uneven look with the edge so by using this tool I get what looks to be a nice straight line somewhat.

DSC02963_resize.JPG

Some of these come with a temperature controlled heater as well but I have not really found much need for that option.

Thanks guys. The roller devices look interesting but no more work than I do may be hard to justify. I got out my jewelers magnifier (I am kinda seeing challenged) and one of the inserts had a tiny hole, sealed with plastic at the factory. After some cleaning out with a pin, it does cut grooves, but I still need an upgrade. Thanks again. Always so much good info here. I have had that tool a long time and did not know it’s features. 

I thought you asked about embossing a line on a strap, and a creaser would be my choice.  It can be argued (has been argued on this forum) that you should not cut a groove for stitches unless abrasion is truely going to be a problem.  You're removing the strongest part of the leather on a strap that typically is under tension.  Here is another perspective on working with straps