RoosterShooter

Designing A New Iwb ... Need Hardware Advice.

I'm designing a new IWB for my lineup and am looking for tensioning screws to put behind the trigger guard. Similar to what Galco and a few other manufacturers use.

Where can I get them, and what are they called? I can order Wholesale Quanity if I need to.

Thanks

Honestly, any time I have put tension screws on mag carriers I have just gone to ACE hardware and bought the following:

6-32 stainless countersink machine screws in whatever length I needed

the appropriate 6-32 countersink black finishing washers

a bag of 6-32 T-Nuts (usually in a quantity of 2 or 4)

a length of black rubber hose in 3/8 OD or 7/16 OD (which I then cut to appropriate length to cover the thread of the screw between the two layers of leather

What Matt said.... that's about all it takes. However, if you'd like, I can go pick some up and sell them to you as "spacer kits" :)

You can change up the type of head that the screw has to get differing degrees of Tacti-cool. A standard phillips head works fine, but if the customers are expecting "security bit torx head" screws....well, I don't think many of the local hardware stores carry those.

I didn't know if they sold them as a kit or you had to buy all of the parts separately.

Thanks

You can buy the kits from old Faithful holsters, however its alot cheaper to by the pieces your self. Here is a picture of all you need. You can buy a lot of it at local hardware, Big box or auto parts store. THe cup washers are also called finish washers. It is cheaper and easier to buty a piece of hose from an auto supply place you can cut your own pieces to the length you want. There are many place on line to buy what you need. Here is one supplier http://www.ifithermoplastics.com/category/fasteners

post-15001-0-49462200-1421435725_thumb.j

Edited by camano ridge

Chicago screw posts look much better than the t-nuts if you really want to add that finishing touch.

This site sells the posts by themselves : http://www.rivetsonline.com/binder-posts/black-aluminum-binder-posts-screws.html?sef_rewrite=1

Here is an example I found online. http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0209/9310/products/WLW_Mag-pouch-snap_back_grande.jpg?v=1380124504[img/]

Chicago screw posts look much better than the t-nuts if you really want to add that finishing touch.

The downside to Chicago screws is that it's harder to hide the socket end between layers and still be able to tighten down on it. A t-nut won't spin because of the pointy little spurs holding it in place.

The downside to Chicago screws is that it's harder to hide the socket end between layers and still be able to tighten down on it. A t-nut won't spin because of the pointy little spurs holding it in place.

The beauty of the Chicago post is that it looks nice and does not need to be hidden. Many people leave the t-nuts exposed which is what I was referring too. For the op hiding the t-nut will work if they are using double layers for both front and rear pieces of the holster. If not the t-nuts would have to be exposed.

Yeah. I see the argument for using either. My current IWB holsters have a T Nut on the backside for attaching the strap to the holster itself. I then hit it with Blue Threadlocker on the backside to hold it in place.

So I assume the reason you use rubber hosing is so you can cinche down the nut and it will 'pancake' under tension. Am I correct in assuming this? I've never used a holster that had a tensioner, so I'm going off of ignorance to how they work.

I don't like the appearance of the t-nut on the back of the holster. I put a tension screw all the way through the holster and use Chicago screws. I use the t-nuts a lot in between the leather to secure the skirt/back flap of holsters.

I am going to get these at my local Lowe's.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=countersunk+bolts&qpvt=counter+sunl+bolts&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=2DCD02514E7B91B97B9E45266704EE75C7EA6AFC&selectedIndex=2

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=finishing+washers&qpvt=finishing+washers&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=AD31842F21D7C62D0DFEBE04094CABF844DFDFC5&selectedIndex=49

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=round+base+nut&qpvt=round+base+nut&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=9B4402E0B30A01376D79EC1052553EFA0C5FC732&selectedIndex=10

Edited by Red Cent

Rooster the idea is not to pancake them as you put it initialy. You want to put the holster together with the tension screw so that there is not a lot of pressure on the rubber initialy. THis leaves you a range in which you can tighten the tension screw down to give desired tension. Some people make so initialy the rubber is compressed about halfway. This leaves you adjustment either way if you want to lighten the tension or tighten the tension.

Yep. As others have said, you can use chicago screw posts as well. They give a more 'finished' look. I've used them as well, whichever fits the application.