DoubleC

Why I Don't Use Horse Leather

I was out to see my horse a few days ago and anyone who owns a horse that they don't consider livestock can understand how I feel about her. I think it was Churchill who said, 'The outside of a horse is good for the inside of man,' and it's so true.

This adorable little mare had just had her butt worked off using groundwork so I could just turn her loose and play with her, brush her, clean her feet. Ferrier was on the way. You can tell by the angle of her head and those ears she's rather a challenge, or more of a challenger. Sienna has a lot of spirit and I've never tried to do more than make her behave safely, wouldn't try and break that spirit for anything. She let's me know constantly that she's going to think a second while she decides whether she's going to do what I ask :) She's my famous model here in VT for when I make tack items, I take the pictures on her of my bronc nosebands or rhythm beads, things like that. She was the inspiration for my 'Mare Stare' jewelry. I am at peace with the world when she, my dog and I are together. I hope you enjoy the pics of her. I highly recommend any on that can use 'horse butt' still on the hoof. You'll be amazed at how good you feel.

(The odd picture is where she and I are getting ready to run to the end of the arena together.)

post-27490-0-58411000-1363709857_thumb.j

post-27490-0-56351800-1363709861_thumb.j

post-27490-0-06399800-1363709866_thumb.j

post-27490-0-50592800-1363709870_thumb.j

I am a HUGE horse lover. We currently have 4 and I love nothing more than to go down and love on them, put my nose to their neck and just breath. Nothing beats the smell of a horse! We have had triumphs (when I was there to pull a filly when she was foaling and now to watch my daughter start to compete on her and the bond between them) to tragedies (going to the barn to check on another pregnant mare only to find she had foaled twins early that morning and neither survived...we had no indication she was having twins...ultrasound only showed one).....however, I don't have an issue using horse leather. It is a by product. Why not utilize what you can from them? No different than using cowhide.

But then again, I also believe there is a need and a place for horse slaughter in the US. And closing the slaughter houses was the most inhuman thing that was done for these animals. It has driven the prices of horse so low and when people can no longer feed them and they can't afford to put them down and bury them, they are left to starve. Rescues are overrun! Not to mention, what do you do with a lame horse. It is very sad.

Just my opinion...

I guess my view is slightly different. I don't think we need more slaughters but less horses. I've had this mare for 5 years now and I would love to have a foal by her. Yet she's an unregistered Morab so the only thing I could breed to in order to register the foal would be an Arabian. And you can probably guess from my pictures I'm too old to be able to guarantee a foal a home for life....so I don't do it. I plain don't add to the problem. I realize my views are more of , 'in a perfect world' where yours are pragmatic. I am not saying people shouldn't use horse butt, just that I personally don't. I don't use elephant either. Just weird that way. Thanks for your opinion. Cheryl

I agree with you about breeding. Unfortunately many breed just to breed. My daughter wanted to breed her mini so she could have a baby out of her and I wouldn't let her. She isn't registered and we didn't need another mini horse. I don't have a problem breeding for a "job". And interestingly enough...our 3 foaling experiences have been when we have bought a mare that we didn't know was bred! First one wasn't suppose to be able to breed anymore. Second we bought at an auction as a trail horse and called previous owners on papers and turns out she wasn't a trail horse but a broodmare and was in foal (but we got lucky on this one as the filly turned out to be a great horse but we can't get her registered as stallion owner won't sign registration papers!). And third was the same as the first...19 year old mare that got in with their stud but they didn't think there was anyway that she could have been bred.

I have quickly learned that it is MUCH cheaper to buy a weanling or a yearling than it is to breed! At least my daughter has had one good foal experience so that will have to make due for her until she is on her own.

Sienna get so fat just on hay as you can see that I thought once she was accidentally bred :)

yeah..she looks like an "easy keeper" :)

I beleive in horse slaughter from not only a practical standpoint but out of respect for the animal. It is not a pleasant thing to watch an old horse die a natural death in the middle of a cold winter. They are horses, an animal, not a human being. To make them out to be human is not only stupid but unreasonable. Horses do not want to be humans, they want to be horses. That said, they cannot help or have a choice of who owns them or where they are at. They deserve to be respected, cared for in a humane way and every person who owns one has a moral as well as a legal responsibility to take reasonable care of them.

If you cannot afford to take responsible care of any animal, please to not own it. Slaughter in as humane as possible way is probably more humane than letting one live on the verge of starvation, constant pain or constant fear.

IF, you do not agree with slaughtering horses, do not send your horse to the kill plant, however, please do not try to force your beliefs on others. They may not have the financial means to have their horse put down in a humane way or the heart to put it down themselves.

You are right, every person needs to think about not breeding unwanted animals. When will people learn that if you cannot sell a mare for a profit, her foals will probaly be unwanted.

I am not looking for fight on this and I don't expect anyone to agree or disagree with me. I don't own any horses and haven't for several years but I have owned over 500 head of them in years past. I think they taught me a little and I miss them terribly but I don't have any business owning them any more. My 2 cents worth. Ken

We never had riding horses at home, we did ride the draft horses though.

We all loved them dearly. We cajoled them, probably over fed them some times, but as with all animal life, love them and you will get a thousands times over from them.

We had one old gelding that lived over 25 years. Sway backed but that was a delight for youngsters riding old Dan.

I agree we must let them die with honor, some times that means an early death. I feel the leather from these animals, being as beautiful as it is, is giving back to those of us who loved them so very much.

Strange horses still come to me after all these years. I LOVE IT!!!!

ferg

Ken I don't think there's any argument to this. I think the long term answer to the over population is not breeding but in the short term probably slaughter is best. I didn't mean to start a thread about slaughter, or breeding, or any of the things I wish I could change but can't. I just really care a lot about my mare and was kinda showing her off I guess. But I honestly don't use horse in my work, it may be silly but I just don't. I didn't mean to imply that no one should or that would solve any equine problems. I have seen horses that I know it would be kinder to put a bullet between their eyes than let them live. One used to be pastured with my mare but is recently separated because she has huge boils on her. I took her a carrot just like she was still in with my mare the same day these pics were shot. I don't believe in letting any animal suffer and have had to put so many dogs down in my lifetime I still tear up when I think of them. I have derived a lot of pleasure from horses in my lifetime and don't use the hides, to me it's no different than dog leather. Maybe it's silly to feel this way but I do. I didn't realize people would think this thread was controversial since I agree with everything said here. Cheryl

I'm glad you had the pleasure of having horses in your life Ferg. She is one of my greatest pleasures just to be around. Like said before just to walk out and lean into her neck and get a lungful of that smell makes me happy. This wasn't meant to be controversial in anyway and I'm glad people are giving their opinions. Cheryl

Well said Ken! I am the one that turned this into a "debate" on slaughter...sorry about that. I guess I misunderstood the point of the original post.

Isn't it interesting that the people that claim the people that are against slaughter are the ones that are proclaimed "horse lovers" and probably have never owned a horse (Cheryl...this is not to be directed at you in any way :) If they only knew what these animals must face now being sent to Mexico or Canada. It is sad. I have a horse now that we are trying to sell. Bought her as a barrel prospect and she is probably going to require more maintenance in terms of injections and such than what she is worth and probably wouldn't hold up to the amount of riding my daughter does. But I can't take her to a sale barn as she won't bring ANYTHING and she probably would end up on a trailer to Mexico. So, in the pasture she stands until I can find that right buyer that just wants a decent horse to either do fun shows or trail ride. She will make someone a great companion as she is such a sweet mare...unless you are another horse messing with her at feeding time LOL