Hello everyone. I finished up my first western rig today. I finished the belt up a couple weekends ago, but between work and other orders, I got around to the holster yesterday. Finished it up today with the conchos. And why is that them darn concho screws are only 3/16" long? And they're metric. Can't find stuff like that at Ace Hardware. Well, enough ranting. Here's the pics.

0991234E-A7F3-4DFA-9DC3-96AE58ABA019-1291-00000390B819542B.jpg

09FEA302-23B0-49EF-8B47-4407723779A8-1291-00000393E863BF4D.jpg

A28423BB-0A4E-41B9-B82F-718FCE00D58C-1291-0000039413301999.jpg

575C1980-F3FC-426F-B2BA-8B8474CD0C5B-1291-00000390944C5525.jpg

Edited by CountryTrash

Great job, I especially like your use of the welt on the seam...looks really clean!:specool:

That looks Great!:You_Rock_Emoticon:

Thank you!

Great job, I especially like your use of the welt on the seam...looks really clean!:specool:

Thanks Viking. I think I spent more time reading about how to do a welt than actually doing it. But I see now what purpose it serves on the revolvers.

Man, that's a good looking rig!

I'm planning on doing one for my Dad for Christmas. He's a got a .22 Revolver that's currently in a Western holster that I gave him when I was in high school.........that was 34 years ago!! Guess what, it's too small for him and me. He wanted me to add on a new billet end but I'm surprising him with a whole new rig.

How do you like your Ruger? I want to get the Vaquero in .357. That way I can shoot the cheaper 38 loads for plinking. Thinking about something like the "Hand of God" rig for it. Hope I can handle that by then!

great job for a first.... very nice!

Edited by joshk

Man, that's a good looking rig!

I'm planning on doing one for my Dad for Christmas. He's a got a .22 Revolver that's currently in a Western holster that I gave him when I was in high school.........that was 34 years ago!! Guess what, it's too small for him and me. He wanted me to add on a new billet end but I'm surprising him with a whole new rig.

How do you like your Ruger? I want to get the Vaquero in .357. That way I can shoot the cheaper 38 loads for plinking. Thinking about something like the "Hand of God" rig for it. Hope I can handle that by then!

Thanks Bobby. I wish it were my Ruger, but it's the customer's. Good thing the customer is a friend from work that also threw in a box of ammo for me to shoot. I just wish I could test out the rig, but it's too big for me. I have the hand of god pattern from Tandy, but I don't need it just yet. I need to get me a SAA first.

From the old grump: CT, you did good on this one, fine work indeed -- except for one thing that I'm wondering about. Unless your customer switches hands when reloading (being left handed, I don't switch hands with the gun when reloading, and I don't see too many right-handers doing it ether) I think that he'll have a difficult time reaching those cartridges in the loops for his reload. For my right handed customers, I start the loops about on the left hip bone and continue to about the center of the back -- vicey-versey for left-handers. Just something I noticed and wondered about. Mike

Edited by katsass

From the old grump: CT, you did good on this one, fine work indeed -- except for one thing that I'm wondering about. Unless your customer switches hands when reloading (being left handed, I don't switch hands with the gun when reloading, and I don't see too many right-handers doing it ether) I think that he'll have a difficult time reaching those cartridges in the loops for his reload. For my right handed customers, I start the loops about on the left hip bone and continue to about the center of the back -- vicey-versey for left-handers. Just something I noticed and wondered about. Mike

Thanks Mike. I didn't consider that when making it. I don't have any personal experience wearing a western rig. I used a template to make the belt. He didn't say anything about it either before I went into work on the leather. He wants a 1911 cross draw holster and mag pouch added to the left side. I'll keep your suggestion in mind if someone else orders one and I'll ask them what their preference is. Thanks again.

Edited by CountryTrash

When I was taught to shoot and reload a revolver, i was shown to open the cylinder, holding it in my left hand with my middle and ring finger going through the frame and wrapped around the cylinder, load with my right hand.

But, I know the single action cowboy rigs are different. The ones I've seen, the cylinder doesn't open up, it just rotates, and I think I would probably load it like the old grump said. Glad he brought that up. Something to think about.

The video I have from John Bianchi shows putting 30 loops centered across the back. I guess he's going for the most rounds possible. Watching old Westerns, I've seen them offset to one side and all the way across the back. Sounds like some of it may be personal preference and what the end use will be.

When I was taught to shoot and reload a revolver, i was shown to open the cylinder, holding it in my left hand with my middle and ring finger going through the frame and wrapped around the cylinder, load with my right hand.

But, I know the single action cowboy rigs are different. The ones I've seen, the cylinder doesn't open up, it just rotates, and I think I would probably load it like the old grump said. Glad he brought that up. Something to think about.

The video I have from John Bianchi shows putting 30 loops centered across the back. I guess he's going for the most rounds possible. Watching old Westerns, I've seen them offset to one side and all the way across the back. Sounds like some of it may be personal preference and what the end use will be.

I noticed that in the video as well. This one only has 18 loops and they are centered from left to right hip. 30 would've wrapped the around the left side almost up to the chape. The customer wants to add another holster (1911) and a double-mag pouch to the left side anyway. If it were covered in bullet loops that would be impossible to do. This belt was made for someone with a 47in waist, which makes the chape side look so long. The far left bullet loop will be on his rear left hip. I think this picture is similar to what you described as being taught. I'm right handed and I think I'd prefer to load this way.

677C4E9E-8159-407C-8E08-F3646DB3C0EB-1291-000004DD48A654EB.jpg

Edited by CountryTrash

I noticed that in the video as well. This one only has 18 loops and they are centered from left to right hip. 30 would've wrapped the around the left side almost up to the chape. The customer wants to add another holster (1911) and a double-mag pouch to the left side anyway. If it were covered in bullet loops that would be impossible to do. This belt was made for someone with a 47in waist, which makes the chape side look so long. The far left bullet loop will be on his rear left hip. I think this picture is similar to what you described as being taught. I'm right handed and I think I'd prefer to load this way.

677C4E9E-8159-407C-8E08-F3646DB3C0EB-1291-000004DD48A654EB.jpg

I was actually talking about the other type revolver where the cylinder actually flops out of the frame on the left side of the gun. But I think I'd still feel more comfortable rotating the cylinder with my left hand while inserting bullets with my right. Basically like you're showing.

Maybe we'll hear from some of those cowboy action shooters!

Edited by Bobby hdflame

I was actually talking about the other type revolver where the cylinder actually flops out of the frame on the left side of the gun. But I think I'd still feel more comfortable rotating the cylinder with my left hand while inserting bullets with my right. Basically like you're showing.

Maybe we'll hear from some of those cowboy action shooters!

I'd love to talk to one of them. Sounds like a little R&D is in order.

great looking rig.

as far as reloading the handgun i do it the same countrytrash's photo hold in left hand drop shells in with right hand. bobby hdflame i reload the double action revolver(this is the one that the cylinder flops out of the frame) by putting the trigger guard into the palm of my left hand, left fingertips on the cylinder right thumb pushing the cylinder release button. left fingertips pushing the cylinder out and holding on as i tip the gun barrel to the sky right hand slapping the bar that helps push the shells out of the cylinder then using right hand reloading cylinder.

during the days that i shot cowboy action shooting style we never reloaded from bullet loops in back of belt. we had 6 loops on our shotgun belt for quicker reloads. the back of belt people said was too slow to grab shells from. most cowboy shooters used the bullet loops on the belt for show.