Frank

Western Holsters, Scabbard, And Belt

These are just some of the things I finished over the past 2 weeks. A full rifle scabbard with yellow latigo keepers and straps, a Slim Jim holster, my rendition of a RT Frazier holster from Packing Iron, another rendition of a 2 piece 1851 Navy holster also from Packing Iron, an N Frame flap hunting holster, and a nice heavy waist belt for a friend.

post-8516-0-48986400-1360695669_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-31575600-1360695761_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-79678400-1360695768_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-27580800-1360695778_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-94682200-1360695810_thumb.jp

post-8516-0-55344400-1360695818_thumb.jp

The slim jim and lazy stitch belt just do something for me. Nice work!

Thanks everyone. Eaglestroker; I'm not really sure I want to know what the holster and belt DO for you!! But, if your anything like me, I'm guessing you think simplicity is more appealing to the eye.

Frank

Frank, we have similar tastes in work. Those pieces are the two I would be drawn to the most out of the group. It is all very clean!

-Robert

Thanks Robert. I figured you would like this one as well. This is my version of the old Main & Winchester style Slim Jim. I did this one to take to a show next month.

Frank

post-8516-0-34797700-1360736829_thumb.jp

Thanks Josh, I appreciate it. Now one of these days I SHOULD start another saddle, if I have time.

Frank. The leather you are using looks really clean. Will you share with us what brand it is?

Where do you get it from?

Thanks

Joel

Joel,

All of the leather is Wickett & Craig skirting leather. I order directly from them. I use the russet, chestnut, brown, and oak.

Frank

Frank,

Do you have any problems with the drum dyed leather casing for tooling? Does the stamping 'cut' through the dye in places and if so, what do you touch it up with? I've been interesting in trying some out myself.

-Robert

Robert,

I don't have trouble at all with the drum dyed leather as far as casing. The only thing to remember is that the dye makes the leather pretty tough. You have to keep your knives extra sharp and stropped really well. I do not care for their black drum dyed leather. I will use the oak tanned and either dye it with vinegroon or Fiebings oil dye. The black doesn't seem to cut worth a darn and bleeds extensively during the sealant process. As far as cutting through the dyed portion of the leather, it does happen with the swivel knife but I've never had it happen when stamping. Once you apply oil and a top coat (I use bag kote), the cut lines turn really dark and make them stand out nicely. I'm not sure if you can see that in my photos or not.

Frank

WOW Nice job!!!!!

Thanks everyone. I will be posting more photos today after I catch up on 28 pages since my last login